Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Dog, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Gerbil breeder / Reptile Keeper / Bunny-Ferret-Exotic Specialist
1298761

My guinea pig has been drinking a lot lately, goes to the water

My guinea pig has been drinking a lot lately, goes to the water bottle about every ten to fifteen minutes..he never usually drinks that much.. I am concerned
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gen B. replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry that no one online earlier felt able to discuss this with you...if you still need help, please tell me:

How old is your Guinea Pig?

Definitely male?

Is a lot of dilute (watery, not thick) urine collecting in the cage?

What type of bedding do you use in the enclosure?

What are all the foods that he eats regularly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My guinea pig is about 3 years of age, and yes he is a male..I keep the cage clean, changing it every other day. His diet consist of hay, guinea pig dry food(fresh not prepackaged) fresh greens, carrots and some fruit as treats. He has never drank so much I am concerned.
Expert:  Gen B. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Although 4-6 years is closer to the "average" time a Guinea Pig will live before developing complications from serious illnesses, we do have to take this kind of excessive drinking seriously at any age.

Guinea Pigs are susceptible to bladder infections, diabetes and kidney disease.

Bladder infections can be quickly taken care of with a course of antibiotic, but can cause other serious health complications if left unattended, so an examination at a veterinary office that knows how to work with this species is the best thing to do.
Look for exotic mammal veterinary office here.

If an evaluation for his bladder health does not reveal anything, there are a few other things to consider:

Some Guinea Pigs are sensitive to the chemicals in cedar and pine bedding. These sensitivities can cause a plethora of symptoms. Changing to a paper-based bedding can help.

Guinea Pigs are sensitive to the sugars in root vegetables and tree fruits. Switch to treats like asparagus and berries as replacements for carrot and things like apple and pears.

Sometimes diabetes and or kidney disease will develop in young animals. Treatments are not always effective or even possible for such tiny pets. In your place, if he begins to loose weight as well, I would consult with a veterinarian who is licensed to use Chinese Herbs in pets in the hopes of rebalancing his body organs gently and safely.
Look for Chinese Medicine Vet by clicking here.

I hope this turns out to be something that can be solved relatively quickly!

If you need additional support at this time, please "REPLY" again.