My dog became saick after chwwing up a puppy pad.she is a boston. she threw up a lot anwill not eat or drink. please

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my dog became saick after chwwing up a puppy pad.she is a boston bull. she threw up a lot anwill not eat or drink. please help me
Answered by ERAnimalNurse in 10 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
ERAnimalNurse
16+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

I am sorry Suzie Q is not feeling well. I am concerned that the potty pad might be stuck somewhere in her G.I. tract, and that she might become very sick. She needs to see a vet IMMEDIATELY, and since it's Sunday, she might need to be seen by an emergency vet since most daily vets are closed today. If the potty pad is stuck, she might need surgery to keep it from perforating her intestine. The longer it takes to have her seen, the more difficult and expensive it will be to get her well again. She is young, and is not eating or drinking, and she cannot wait until tomorrow to see her vet. She needs help, right away. Please have her seen by the nearest emergency vet ASAP and let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your pup, I hope she feels better soon :)

Customer
this answer does not help me, there is no vet on sunday. also she had a bowel movementyesterday which consisted of a lot of the pad.
Customer
could there be a toxic ihgredient in the pad.

I realize that my answer was not what you wanted to hear, and I am sorry if you had different expectations. In alot of cases, there is simply not anything you can do at home and an immediate vet visit is needed. There are vets available on Sundays, at emergency hospitals, and this is where your puppy needs to go. If this potty pad that she ate was made specifically for puppies, then it would not contain anything toxic. It is very common for puppies to chew these pads, and they can become ill when the pad causes an obstruction somewhere in the G.I. tract. Symptoms of a G.I. obstruction include not eating or drinking, vomiting, diarrhea, or even lack of stool, lethargy, fever, collapse, belly pain, and even death. Your puppy does not need to have all the signs to have an obstruction. While it is encouraging that she had a b/m yesterday, and that there was potty pad in it, that does NOT mean she doesn't have some of the pad still in her G.I. tract somewhere. She is not eating or drinking, as per the history you provided, and this is a symptom of something that needs to be checked out immediately. Puppies are like infants. If you suspected or saw your infant daughter ingest something and she developed the symptoms your puppy is now showing, would you wait to have her seen?As stated above, the longer it takes to have your puppy seen, the more sick she will become, the more symptoms she will develop, and the more difficult and expensive it will be to make her well again. See the following website to find an emergency hospital near you. All you need to do is enter your zip code.

http://www.pets911.com/services/emergency/index.php

Even if the pad had a toxic chemical on it (which it shouldn't and your dog is not exhibiting typical symptoms for that anyway), there is nothing you can do at home, and a trip to the ER is necessary anyway. I am sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, and I hope you will take my advice. good luck with your pup.

Customer
i will pay you $15.00 for your advice as it was too late anyway and i already called 2 veterinarians and they had no one on call. please cancel my cards number asap.thank you anyway. joyce
Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
ERAnimalNurse
logo
logo
logo
16+ years of experience
imglogo
ERAnimalNurse
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.