Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

About 2 weeks ago my husband woke up suddenly and startled…

Customer Question
About 2 weeks ago my...
About 2 weeks ago my husband woke up suddenly and startled our cat which absolutely adores him. When the cat was woken up she went crazy. Growling and leaping across the bed lunging at as and screaming like a wild animal. I had to cover up with a blanket, she wouldn't stop. The next few days after that she was very lethargic and almost seemed ill. she is now fine, but at least twice a day she goes into this vicious attach mode. It is not playfully at all it is very very scarey. I was held up in my bedroom the other day as the cat sat outside the door growling and hissing like a rabid animal.
What could be the problem? I think she has a tumour. She has never acted this aggresive before. She is a 2 year old spade female.
Thank you for getting back to me. I am afraid to even go into our home alone.
marlene
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
6/28/2010
Pet Specialist: Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert replied 8 years ago
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert

Dear friend,

I am sorry you are having trouble.It sounds like your cat was traumatized and she is now "on guard" because she thinks HER life is in danger.

You can read about aggression in cats here:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/aggression.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1310&aid=3048

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=438

Cats are not reasonable. They do not understand logic.

It is outrageous for you to be afraid to go home.

Jersey may occasionally calm down but you should not take any chances.

Have her seen by a vet ASAP.

She will be examined for any painful issues and given anti-anxiety medication that will calm her down.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diazepam-valium/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/alprazolam-xanax/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/clomipramine-clomicalm/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/fluoxetine-prozac/page1.aspx

Please let me know how things are going.

I hope all will be well.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri