Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My guinea pig is pregnant- probably about 7-8 weeks- but she…

My guinea pig is pregnant-...
My guinea pig is pregnant- probably about 7-8 weeks- but she has little lice running all over her. I want to treat her with ivermectin but I don't know if it is safe to use on a pregnant guinea pig. She is scratching loads, and she will spread the lice to her babies when she has them so I really want to help her. thank you Jacquie
6/28/2010
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian

Hi there

Unfortunately ivermectin is not licensed to use in pregnant animals- and its use would be inadvisable due to possible implications upon the health of the unborn guinea pigs, personally i never advise the use of ivermectin products in pregnant guinea pigs, just to be on the safe side. Once she's had them you will be able to treat her effectively and safely.

As lice are easily transmitted- and often thrive in cases of stress (the pregnant body is a stressed body!) once she has them her body will be less stressed and more able to fight off the infestation anyway- good husbandry and regular cleaning should reduce the chances of spread to the little ones.

In the meantime for her a good diet- extra vitamin C in the water, and grooming the lice from her fur with a nit comb, are the only safe options.

Regards Andrea

Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Thank you for your advice, I will hold off treating her until she has the babies.

Can I use human vit c dispersible tablets in her water?
Thank you
Yes its fine to use the human vit c tablets. 1/4 of a chewable 100mg tablet per day is generally recommended. Andrea