Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

pit bull: 10 month old..has stopped eating drinking..excessively…

Customer Question
My 10 month old pit...
My 10 month old pit bull has stopped eating drinking and is shedding excessively. I do not know if it is the heat or an infection. His urine is thick and cloudy but no blood that I can see. He often tries to pee but can not and then after I force water him will pee better. Can this be a bladder infection? WHat antibiotic is good and are there alternatives?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Pet Specialist: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Has the dog been vaccinated?

Is he neutered?

How long has this been going on?
Dog is vaccinated. HE was neutered about 4 months ago with no complications. It started about a week ago. I am getting him to eat and drink some but he has significant weight loss, is lethargic, and is shedding excessively. I originally thought it was the heat wave, but now I am worried.
This does not sound like a heat stroke issue if it has been going on this long. If the urine is cloudy there could be a bladder infection or kidney problems. Weight loss is not good in a dog this age. The urine needs to be examined by your vet under a microscope to check for bacteria and kidney problems. Amoxicillin or Clavamox are commonly used for infection. Most bladder infections do not cause loss of appetite. I suspect there is something more severe going on and blood tests may also be needed.