Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

in the past 5 days i have had 3 goldfish in my pond die. all…

Customer Question
in the past 5 days...
in the past 5 days i have had 3 goldfish in my pond die. all the water tests are great.. water is clear and high day time temp is averaging 82. i found the fish floating ontop of the water dead 2 in one day 1 3 days later. there is a watery blood that comes from the anus and gills when the body is squizzed and some marking on the scales of all the fish. no open wounds. they are not gasping for air.. i have a large airator in the pond, the pond is 1200 gallons.. also have 3 koi. the 3 dead goldfish were the smallest ones about 6 inches long. all were eating fine.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
6/28/2010
Pet Specialist: TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE replied 8 years ago
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

You wrote-"all the water tests are great".

What did you test for and what were the exact results?

Aside from the anti-bacterial food you fed was anything else done to treat this?

.

i tested for nitrates, amonia and ph..... all 3 twice a day also salt content.. which i hiked up to .20% to .25%.. and no other treatment has been done. i did a 30% water change today. and i have lost 3 more fish since last sunday

Once again--what were the exact test results?

The test results are very important as they will indicate if there is a water quality problem which is causing the acute fish deaths.

.

they were perfect.... o nitrates, o amoina, and 8.0 for ph. with no spikes. water quality is not issue.

The watery blood that you are seeing when you squeeze the fish is a sign of internal bleeding more specifically a bacterial disease called Hemorrhagic Septicemia.

The presence of nitrites in the water could cause Septicemia which is why I requested a test result for it.

The way to treat this is to continue feeding the anti-bacterial food but make sure to feed it exclusively for the next 7 days.

Begin to treat the fish with a medicine called Furan-2 which is easily found at most major pet stores. For a pond your size you'll need to obtain the 850 grams bulk jar.

Click on link below for a view of the product. Make sure to follow the directions on the product label for proper usage/dosage instructions.

It would also be advisable to check that the pond water is receiving sufficient aeration as the warmer the water gets the less oxygen it holds and 82f degrees is quite warm for Koi and goldfish. If the pond is fairly crowded the amount of oxygen will deplete even quicker. You did mention there is a large aerator in the pond but make sure it's properly sized for the pond.

Best wishes.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4827

.