Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

White with blue eyes.

Customer Question
Worried about a bunny who...
Worried about a bunny who might have epilepsy. White with blue eyes. Bunny goes cracy then seizes and then is fine.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
6/24/2010
Pet Specialist: Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician replied 8 years ago
Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question...I am sorry that no one online earlier felt able to discuss this with you.

Seizures in Rabbits can damage the brain very easily if the body overheats during the episode. Epilepsy can be treated with medication.

Rabbits might have seizures as a "side effect" of a number of health problems. But it can be hard to distinguish a true brain seizure from a severe abdominal spasms that results from a digestive stasis.

The painful cramps associated with gastrointestinal stasis (stoppage) can look a lot like seizures, so I will give you some information about both problems.

Read all about proper Rabbit nutrition here...wet or sugary foods can damage the digestive organs and make the giant bowel of this species sluggish, then prone to blockages:
Click this blue text to read the article.

A list of common health problems to consider with actual seizures are outlined here:
Read medical information by clicking here.

It is best to have this pet evaluated by a veterinarian who understands how to handle and treat this unique species.

You can use these indexes to look for qualified help:

Exotic Mammal Vet search here.

Rabbit-friendly practice search here.

If you need additional support at this time, please "REPLY" below.