Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Fishes: Bacterial affections Red bruises..sideways

Customer Question
What the hell happened to...
What the hell happened to my guys for 2 years in a row I had zero problems with my Fishes I did partial water changes weekly, I tried not to overfeed them, I tested and treated the water periodically, Then after 2 years Goldy got the Swim Bladder disease ok you helped me out, she recovered completely then a few weeks later Ich, I started treating them for the Ich yes maybe the Ich is clearing up a bit but then they got Bacterial affections Red bruises, Fin rot not getting any better. Obama looks Rotten all over his body looks like his skin is peeling off. and the Red hooded oranda (she's a new fish in our tank she doesn't have a name yet) is floating on top occasionally sideways (though she is still alive)
Can you help me understand where I messed up how come from one day to the other they all got sick and it seems like they will never recover again???
HELP!!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2010
Pet Specialist: TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE replied 8 years ago
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

The most common cause of chronic disease outbreaks in an aquarium is unfavorable water conditions. Another common cause of disease problems is the addition of a new fish to the tank who brings in a disease.

Ok so the first thing that needs to be done fundamentally is test the water.

Test for levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. I'll need exact results.

You wrote that "I tested and treated the water periodically" so I assume you're familiar with water testing. It would also help to supply the current water temperature.

Verify how many gallons of water are in the tank and how many fish are in the tank.

This basic information will help give us a better idea of the tank's status.

So try and relay this information to me as soon as you can.

Also if you'd like a direct link to me, click on the upcoming link and then proceed to ask/write your question. The question will come directly to me and faster:

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=1568960&FID=0

Thanks

Ric

.

20 gallon tank 5 fish
Don't forget the water testing and subsequent test results.