Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Hello, for about two months now my male cat (others are two…

Customer Question
Hello, for about two months...
Hello, for about two months now my male cat (others are two female) has started making very loud meowing noises while around the house. I have also caught him using my downstairs sink and upstairs bath as a place to urinate. I managed to cover the sink and i make sure the bathroom door is now closed.

I cannot think of any major changes, although i have a baby she visits every other week due to space in the home this has been happening for 9 months, my cat issue only happening for 1/2 months at the most.

I am not sure if the urinating is aimed at something else outside, as the only places i have caught him doing it (over than the litter tray) is in areas with plug holes, i have let him out of the house but this has not changed a lot. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
6/22/2010
Pet Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org replied 8 years ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org

Inappropriate urination in a previously behaved animal may be early symptoms of a physical problem that could anything from intestinal infections, parasites to liver/kidney disease or disorders, or urinary tract infections (bacterial, viral, etc). Making sure it's really just a behavior problem means you need to have your companion checked out at the vet first. When the results come back 'clean' - you can start working on behavior modifications.

Which may not be as easy as just having an infection treated

You can look into multiple possible causes for inappropriate soiling here:

Cat Urine

If it's a behavior problem, new activity in the house, new people, even new furniture, tension, excitement, or holidays could be causing the pet stress, feeling insecure and unsure. The new, inappropriate habits could also be an attempt to dominate a perceived threat.

Be sure to clean up the scent completely (remember, they have more than 200 million scent receptors to our meager 5 million!) and start increasing praise for their going in appropriate places as they usually do. Just the increased attention and removal of previous scent should make a big difference quickly.

Using an enzyme cleaner, if you want to buy commercial, is best; we make our own using 1/2 cup each baking soda and borax in a gallon or two of warm water. This tends to be safe for carpets and most floors, but always check first on an inconspicuous part.

The solution, if applied to carpets/furniture, needs to soak the area and then be allowed to dry thoroughly. If the scent isn't gone at that time, reapply. If it lingers beyond that - replacing the carpet pad may be necessary and the furniture could be a lost cause.

-- Covering the areas frequented by the cat with a clean shower curtain or plastic tarp makes the area less attractive. Another good trick is using a plastic carpet runner or protector with the little spike grips on the back - turn it upside down so the plastic grips are facing up. Kitty won’t care for this feeling on paws or bottom end.

When it comes to cats, urinary problems may quickly turn into blockages. When this happens, it’s a medical emergency, you have a matter of hours, at best, XXXXX XXXXX the cat treated (usually operated on). It’s far better to treat the earliest symptoms than be put in this position, which will cost even more if it happens at night, on a weekend or holiday.

Urinary Tract Disease

If it’s a parasite, fungal or bacterial infection, some of these are transferable to people. Keep your hands meticulously washed, litter boxes well cleaned and again, treatment sure beats the complications that may arise.

If the results of a medical evaluation indicate that kitty is just having a behavioral issue, one product to calm overly active, nervous cats is called Feliway

http://www.vpl.com/product.php?catmain=&mainkey=&pid=58&key=24&cat=Behavior

My foster homes have had great success with it.

The strongest suggestion is to be sure to refill it (it’s a plug in) before it goes dry and to refill it at least three times (each refill lasts about 3 months). There’s also a room spray that can be used in conjunction with it, but doesn’t work as well as on its own.

---------- Again though - have him seen first. In most cases involving using spots like this (sinks, showers, tubs) it's an infection.

Good luck!