Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

poodle: My 13 year..13 year old..blind..Cataracts

Customer Question
My 13 year old poodle...
My 13 year old poodle developed rapidly, just over a month, retinal atrophy and is now completely blind. Cataracts in both eyes are incipient,. Is there any hope of recovering (some) vision by treatment with stem cells? Is it risky for an elderly dog? Too expensive?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
6/17/2010
Pet Specialist: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello.

Dr. Andy :

Super difficult question.

Dr. Andy :

Right now, I can't say there is many good studies to indicate any particular dog in this condition, would benefit from stem cell treatment. Well that, and it costs a fortune. Now, I am not sure if you have only seen a neurologist, but honestly, you would be much better off getting a second opinion from a veterinary ophthalmologist.

Dr. Andy :

http://www.acvo.com/

Dr. Andy :

They may be able to give you some case studies and better guidance to know if your pet is a candidate for stem cell versus lens surgery. Yes, an alternative is lens surgery instead.

Dr. Andy :

The risk with an older pet. Well, if a blood test indicates the liver and kidneys are okay, and the heart and lungs are fine, then anesthetic risk is definitely reduced.

Dr. Andy :

I would say any type of vision improvement would likely be achieved more quickly and successfully with surgical intervention. My thought. Only a ophthalmologist, not a neurologist, will properly guide you in this siutation. Plus, the the retinal atrophy, lens surgery may be of no benefit at all. Tricky question.

Dr. Andy :

In the same situation, I would do nothing until consulting an actual veterinary ophthalmologist. Dr. Andy