Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My rabbit has stopped eating this morning although last night…

Customer Question
My rabbit has stopped eating...
My rabbit has stopped eating this morning although last night she seemed fine and ate all her food, today she's not interested and just wants to sit in the corner. She doesn't seem to be grinding her teeth but her ears are a bit cold. What could this be?? Neil
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
6/10/2010
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question.

Whenever a rabbit stops eating, it is considered an emergency. Refusing to eat can indicate that the intestine has quit working, a condition called gastrointestinal stasis, or ileus. This can cause death. Bella needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. In the meantime, to prevent dehydration, give her drops of water from a dropper or even the end of your finger. Don't give so much that she chokes. Just do a few drops at a time, but do it often. You can massage her stomach. Here is a site that has instruction for doing that. It also lists other steps to take.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

The site emphasizes the importance of fast veterinary care in these circumstances. Vets not familiar with rabbits are often not aware of the seriousness of appetite loss in rabbits. This link will take you to a directory of UK rabbit vets:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Vet_EU-UK.html

I hope Bella gets proper treatment and recovers quickly. If you have further concerns, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna