Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

I have a 2000 gal koi pond in my backyard that has thrived

Customer Question

I have a 2000 gal koi pond in my backyard that has thrived for 5 years with many large, beautiful Japanese koi. Late yesterday I put the hose on into it to refill it after it was backwashed & walked away & totally forgot about it until this morning when I looked out & saw 3 of my beautiful fish floating on the top. I am heartbroken. 2 of my largest are struggling to survive. So far I have dumped of bottle of dechlorinator in & put in a dose of bacteria. Please help me…what more should I do? I’m trying to keep them moving….is that right? It is too early to get any help from my tropical fish expert at the fish store I go to. Thank you for any help you can provide!!
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 8 years ago.

The fish have been affected by the presence of chlorine in the water which as you know is toxic to fish.

You took the first correct step by adding a dechlorinator to the water.

What I recommend be done in addition to what you've already done is add additional aeration to the water as this will help dissipate any residual chlorine remaining in the water.

Add pond salt to the water as the salt will help the fish's respiratory functions which have been compromised.

Also add a product to the water called Stress Coat which will not only remove chlorine and chloramines present in the water but heavy metals too. Both Stress Coat and pond salt can be found at pet stores.

It would be better to not move the fish but instead have the water move with a bit more current as moving the fish might stress them further.

Best wishes and let me know if you have any questions.

.