Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have an above ground 28 foot dia swimming pool. Six years

Customer Question
I have an above ground...
I have an above ground 28 foot dia swimming pool. Six years ago we left the winter cover on which had fiiled with the metled snow and rain from the winter. Put in 10 goldfish, the pet store called them feeder fish. Still have one original about 7 - 8 inchs long with a split tail. Very peaceful to watch it swimming around. They reproduced by themselves and now have approx 80 to 100 fish of various size. For the past 15 years we have a mallard and mate spend 6 to 8 weeks living and swimming on the pool. Do not seem to bother the fish since they are in the pool

Mother nature feeds the fish. Have a clump white birch which drop items into the pool. Mamossa tree drops flowers and seed pods. A Blue spruce, not sure what comes from this. multiple white pine drops of small brach tips and pine cones.

Several dozen are in the 2 - 4 inch range.

Not sure I need an answer, but your thoughts would be appreciated.
[email protected]

JOHN EDER XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pet
3/7/2010
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 7 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hi John,

It sounds like you have a good thing going with your former pool. The goldfish are probably eating material from the plants that falls into the pool, as well as the many little insects that undoubtedly land there.

The only thing I would be concerned about is that as the fish reproduce, you may end up with too many of them in the pool. There will be plenty of food, but the water quality could deteriorate (from fish wastes) to the point that the fish become ill. It's important that the ammonia content be zero. It would be a good idea to test the water from time to time. You can buy aquarium test kits in pet stores. Some pet stores will even test the water at no charge if you bring in a sample in a clean glass jar. If you start to have problems with water quality, you'll need to either find new homes for some fish, or buy filtration equipment.

Other than being aware of the water quality, I think you should just enjoy the peace the creatures in your pool give you. If you need anything else, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

(If you find my answer satisfactory, please click on the ACCEPT button. Thank you.)

In the summer should the goldfish eat mosquitoes and their larvae. I treat the water with mosquito dunks, because it appears they do not eat them

Most fish will eat the larvae, but there's no way to encourage them do so if they don't want to. It could also be that there are just too many for the fish to eliminate them. Mosquitoes are very prolific.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist