Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

If you gave phenobarbital injection subcutaneously, would it…

Customer Question
If you gave phenobarbital injection...
If you gave phenobarbital injection subcutaneously, would it necessarily cause a tissue reaction?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
3/7/2010
Pet Specialist: Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician replied 8 years ago
Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Hello and thanks for researching your question!

Barbiturate solutions made for injection (like phenobarbital) are very alkaline. That is, the pH of these injectable solutions are not compatible with the pH of skin and subcutaneous tissue.

When such a solution is injected under the skin, local tissue may be damaged, or even necrose (decompose) very dramatically. This would be the expectation for the majority of cases (that is, it would be rare for extravascular necrosis to not occur).

These solutions are NOT labeled for subcutaneous administration.

These solutions are controlled substances, so they may only be prescribed to pets by veterinarians who have been licensed by the federal government.

It is illegal to obtain and administer them to animals without approved veterinary supervision.
Is the reaction that occurs always severe if it is accidentally given subcutaneously? Or does it depend?
The reaction is to be expected in all cases...just because of the chemical principles involved.

The degree of damage would be proportional to the amount of solution given out-of-the-vein.

So, I suppose a designation of "severity" may be assigned in a subjective manner, depending on how much tissue ultimately becomes damaged.

It would be quite rare for there to be no evidence of a chemical burn.

If a pet were to receive such a chemical exposure, it should be attended by a licensed veterinarian who is experienced in how to neutralize the chemical reaction and preserve the exposed tissue.

Edited by Gen B. on 3/7/2010 at 7:33 PM EST