Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

guinea pig: developed..growth has split exposing a brownish mass

Customer Question
Our 3 year old guinea...
Our 3 year old guinea pig Jasper has developed a pouch-like growth on the side of his jaw. This happened once before, but then went away. We just now noticed that growth has split exposing a brownish mass. Jasper doesn't whine or indicate pain, but the split skin looks painful. Our vet doesn't have hours until Monday morning. Do you have any idea what this could be, or recommendations on how to treat until Monday, or should we seek an emergency vet visit.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pet
3/6/2010
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 7 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Is Jasper eating well?

How is his energy level?

Is anything oozing from the split skin?

Thank you.

Anna

He doesn't eat as well as he used, but he still eats (combination of dry food and fresh vegetables/mostly red and green leaf lettuce) His energy level is normal/not lethargic in any way. He looks like his normal self, but for the side of his face. No oozing, but there is a terrible odor emating from the area. Thank you so much.
Thank you for getting back to me. This is most likely either a very nasty abscess or a tumor. Either one, in an advanced case, can cause a terrible odor. There is no way to be certain of what it is based only on an online description. If it's a tumor, there probably is no treatment. If it's an abscess or other infection, it's crucial to obtain treatment as soon as possible because the infection can spread through the body. For that reason, I recommend seeing an emergecny vet. If you can find one who is familiar with guinea pigs. This link will take you to a directory of guinea pig/rabbit vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

There is little you can do at home. Don't use a litter that can stick in the open area. You might have to switch to plain paper towels. If the area gets dirty, gently clean it. If you don't see a vet right away, Jasper may well live until Monday, but if infection is present, it may advance by then to the point that treatment is difficult. You'll have to make the decision about what to do. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Jasper will reach a full recovery.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist