Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

my hamster has a small zinc pill in his cheek;

my hamster swallowed a small...
my hamster swallowed a small zinc pill; it's in his cheek; is there a technique I can use to remove it? or should I just allow him to spit it out and assume he won't eat it? I'm assuming that a zinc pill for a human will kill the little fellow if he swallows it, but I wonder how likely it is he will chew and swallow it; he has lot's of his favorite food. Could the pill get stuck in his pouch?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2010
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Even if your hamster doesn't swallow the pill, if he holds it in his pouch long enough, it will gradually dissolve and the zinc will enter his body. The pill could get stuck in the pouch, but again, it will dissolve in that situation, too. The best solution would be to take him to a hamster-savvy vet to have the pill removed. The following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password XXXXX well.

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

If a vet is out of the question, you can try to gently open the hamster's mouth and use blunt-tipped tweezers to remove the pill. It can be hard to get a hamster's mouth open far enough to do this. If you can see the outline of the pill, you could try to move it from the outside by using your finger to massage it forward to the mouth. The risk with this is, that as he feels his prize being moved, the hamster may swallow it. To be honest, I don't have much faith that either of the above methods will work. I recommend seeing a vet.

If you choose to wait and see if your hamster spits the pill out, keep an eye on the place where he stashes his pouch contents. If he does leave the pill there, take it out at once before he has a chance to eat it. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be successful in getting the pill out.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist