Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

goldfish: ( has died as well as the male guppy and two of the tetras…

Customer Question
I have a 12 gallon...
I have a 12 gallon biorb tank that for 6 months has had a black moor goldfish and 2 guppies. (with 3 surviviing small fry) Last week I added a pacastamus and 3 neon tetras. Since then the black moor, my fav :( has died as well as the male guppy and two of the tetras. I don't know what happened to the tetras - didn't find remains but 4 days after adding the new fish both the guppy and goldfish died suddenly. I fed then in the AM before going to work and both were dead when I came home. The black moor had a film over one eye as well as a distension on the same eye. Any clues? All remaining fish seen healthy.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
3/6/2010
Pet Specialist: TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE replied 8 years ago
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

There are 2 possibilities here for the cause of the problem and they are;

1) unfavorable water conditions and/or 2) a disease brought into the tank by one of the new additions.

The symptoms on the black moor prior to dying were an indication of a bacterial disease of the eye called Pop Eye.

Keep in mind that as the tank was overcrowded it became vulnerable to deteriorating water quality rather quickly and unfavorable water conditions make things ripe for a disease to manifest itself in the aquarium.

What I recommend be done to treat this problem is start off by changing 33%

(4 gallons) of the water in the tank making sure to use dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the water already in the tank.

Right after the partial water change begin to treat the tank with a medicine called Maracyn-Two. Click on link below for a view of the product which can be found at most major pet stores where fish are sold. Follow the directions on the product label for usage instructions.

As a matter of routine maintainance, even when things are going well in the tank, change 25% of the water once a week and try not to overfeed the fish. Feed only a small pinch of food once a day as lack of partial water changes and overfeeding will cause the water quality to decline quickly.

It's also very important to quarantine and treat if necessary all new additions to the tank for at least 3 weeks prior to entry to the main tank.

Good luck!

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+4842&pcatid=4842

.