Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I raise angel fish and when my fry reach about 4 wks old they

Customer Question
start swimming perpendicular and then...
I raise angel fish and when my fry reach about 4 wks old they start swimming perpendicular and then go to belly sliders.I am desperate to figure this out. I loose as many as 90 %. I know I am not over feeding and they are not over crowded. I vacume the bottom and remove and replace 50 % of the water ever other day. Water temp is at 78 degree. I am feeding an excellent diet. Using well water, could there be something wrong with water. I also noticed the fish that have this stop growing before the swimming problem takes place. Please help! Carol
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pet
3/6/2010
Pet Specialist: TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE replied 7 years ago
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

Hi Carol.

What is usual ph of the water where the fry are being housed?

Also have you tested the water for levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and if so what were the exact results?

.

Nitrates are 0 and so is nitrites. Amonia is pretty much non exsistant, due to the fact of all the frequent water changes. ph is running 7.2

Thank you for the information.

The water being void of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates is excellent and an absolute necessity when raising angelfish fry as I'm sure you're already aware.

Apparently something's going wrong during the growing process with the fry's swim bladder which is causing them to swim incorrectly. The swim bladder is the organ fish have that enables them to swim upright and maintain their buoyancy.

Before I touch upon the main problem I'd like to discuss some other potential causes.

The ph is a bit high for the fry. A ph of no higher than 6.8 would be ideal.

The water temperature of 78f degrees is a tad too low also. Raise it to 80f degrees.

I believe the major cause of the problem is the fish's diet. Somewhere along the line what their being fed is having a negative impact on their swim bladder thus causing the abnormal swimming pattern. Flake food, although finely crushed, is usually the culprit.

What I recommend be done is change the fry's diet, when you first start feeding, exclusively to live baby brine shrimp which are not only highly nutritious but will not have a negative impact on the fry's swimbladder. Feed this way for the first 6 weeks. After 6 weeks introduce some some frozen food and then after 8 weeks you can begin to incorporate flake into their diet.

The change in the way the diet is administered in combination with the temperature and ph adjustment should resolve the problem. Please understand that the fish who are already swimming sideways will not be cured by a diet of baby brine shrimp. This condition is now irreversible. The recommendations given are for any new fry batches.

Good luck!

.

I am feeding fresh hatched brine shrimp for the first 6 to 8 weeks of their life. The problem accures during that time. I feed shrimp 3 to 4 times a day, feeding only what they can consume in 3 minutes each feeding. I do freeze the shrimp I cannot feed that day and feed that instead of hatching every day. could that be a problem?

It might be as although the baby brine shrimp is being frozen it still might be negatively affected.

I do know that baby brine shrimp lose their nutritional value very quickly so I'd have to say using thawed baby brine shrimp might not be helping.

.

Is there any other way swim bladder can be affected, other than diet? I'm certain you are correct that it is a swim bladder problem.

Unfavorable water conditions will also negatively affect a fish's swim bladder but this is obviously not the case in your tank.

In some cases anatomy will have a negative affect on the swim bladder but this is more prevalent in goldfish.

.

I will accept your answer but I'm still not sure what I can do to prevent this from continuing to happen. thanks for all your help.

To prevent this from happening try following the recommendations listed prior:

1) Maintain a water temperature of 80f degrees

2) Maintain a ph of no higher than 6.8

3) Feed only freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

.

Edited by TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO on 3/6/2010 at 6:02 PM EST
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO