Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My sons gerbil lost one of her top front teeth about a week…

Customer Question
My son's gerbil lost one...
My son's gerbil lost one of her top front teeth about a week ago (no known trauma) and she lost the other one today. What do we do about this? Will they grow back and how will she eat in the meantime?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
3/5/2010
Pet Specialist: Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Thank you for your question. Can you tell me the approximate age of your gerbil?

Is she in good health otherwise (not over or under weight)?

What exactly is she eating?

I'll be standing by to help.
Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin
she is otherwise in good health. she is eating a mix of several gerbil foods from the pet store, such as sunflower seeds, corn kernels, lots of different sized brown pellets, whole grains (looks like wheat and oats, some of them stained bright green) They also have an edible house which they have been working on for a while. My son says she is about 9 months old (we got two females from Petsmart in December). We have treated her for "wet tail" in the past, but the drops we put in her water cleared it up. Her weight is fine. Thanks, Vanessa
Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it will be difficult to tell the cause without x-rays of her jaw.

The common causes are trauma (chewing on hard objects and breaking the teeth), infection (tooth root abscess), overgrowth of molars, cancer (unlikely but possible), and metabolic bone disease - low calcium causing bone loss and bone weakness.

In these cases, x-rays are needed to look for infection and to image the overall bone density and root structure. The teeth may or may not regrow, depending on what is going on with the roots.

In addition, the lower teeth and or molars may need to be trimmed to keep from traumatizing soft tissue.

Some gerbils will do fine without the upper teeth, but others will have trouble eating and can eventually perish - I hope not, and hope that she does well.

If possible, I would recommend finding a veterinarian who can take x-rays and perform dental care. Most owners of small pocket pets do not want to go that far with the expense, but it would offer her the best care.

In the meanwhile, in addition to her regular food, I would soften some pellets in water and offer that in a separate bowl.

Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP