Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a goldfish in a large globe bowl, he is l2 years old.

He seems to be ill...
I have a goldfish in a large globe bowl, he is l2 years old. He seems to be ill, he just sits at the bottom of the bowl all the time, not even eating his food. the only time he moves is if i splash the water about. could it be that he is dying.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2010
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

What's happening could be related to old age or unfavorable water conditions.

An internal bacteria could also have a hand in this.

What I recommend be done to treat this is:

1) Change 1/2 the water in the bowl

2) Add aquarium salt to the water, 1 tablespoon per every 5 gallons/20 litres of water.

3) Make sure the water temperature is in the correct range for goldfish which is 62f-72f/16c-22c degrees if not then slowly adjust it.

4) Begin to treat the fish with a medicine called Pimafix. It can be found at most major pet stores. Follow the directions on the product label for usage/dosage instructions.

5) Increase aeration in the water.

Also try and change 20% of the water once a week so as to keep the water conditions in order.

As for a prognosis--it's hard to say as sometimes a fish will react quickly and well to a treatment and sometimes there's nothing that can be done that will help the fish particularly if old age is the root cause of the problem.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

.

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO