Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

hi 2 of my koi ended up next to the pond ,very close to death…

hi 2 of my koi...
hi 2 of my koi ended up next to the pond ,very close to death ,sticking to the paving. i managed to revive them by forcing water trough the mouth.they made it ,but the parts of there bodies that was stickig to the floor now seem to be covered with what looks like alge .can you advise me on what action i should take? regards morne
3/3/2010
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

Hi Morne.

Obviously the fish have suffered a severe shock. The dark covering you are seeing on their bodies is a bacterial infection.

The way to treat this is to start off by changing 20% of the water in the pond.

Add some pond salt to the water right after the water change. Any brand will do just follow the directions on the product label for usage/dosage instructions. If there are live plants in the pond then cut the recommended dosage by 1/2. The salt will serve as a general tonic and prevent secondary infections from occuring.

Add a medicine to the pond water called TetraPond Pond Fish Treatment which can be found at most major pet stores. It is also sold under the names of MediFin and DesaFin outside of the USA. The treatment is a wide spectrum medicine designed to treat a wide variety of pond fish illnesses. Folllow the directions on the product label for usage/dosage/length of treatment instructions.

It's difficult to predict the outcome because much depends on how badly the fish were affected and their overall health prior to falling outside of the pond.

Best wishes and good luck on a speedy and full recovery for the Koi.

.

Edited by TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO on 3/3/2010 at 10:32 PM EST
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO