Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

A 5 goldfish isolated itself in my skimmer basket of an outdoor…

A 5" goldfish isolated itself...
A 5" goldfish isolated itself in my skimmer basket of an outdoor pond. They have been hibernating since late October. This fish is lethargic, has trouble staying upright, top fin held close to the body. Sometimes it will jump if I touch it, other times it just sits there. There are 2 irregular red spots that don't break the skin, on his back, near the top fin. One is bright red, like blood, the other is duller. Hard to tekll if this is just natural coloring. Overall color except for the red spot is dull, grayish orange. Several scales, as well as one gill, are whitish, like thin cartilage, not gooey. White can be seen only from certain angles.

Any ideas?
3/3/2010
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

The affected fish appears to be suffering from a variety of ailments which may include parasites, bacteria, shock, injury and fungus.

What I recommend be done is add pond salt to the water. Any brand will do just follow the directions on the product label for usage/dosage instructions. If there are live plants in the pond then cut the recommended dosage by half.

Add a medicine to the pond called TetraPond Pond Fish Treatment, click on link below for a view of the product. It treats a wide variety of ailments as it is a broad spectrum medicine.

If you prefer and have additional space available you can treat the affected fish in a seperate tank.

Note that the affected fish is gravely ill and a cure will be most difficult.

Good luck!

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5304+5408&pcatid=5408

.

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO