Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

my childs guppy has a place on his head that looks like he

Customer Question
my child's guppy has a...
my child's guppy has a place on his head that looks like he has been nicked and has bled, he also has a small brown spot right past his anal area, before you get to his tail. There was also some small red streaks in his tail. He acts fine and happy. What could be wrong with him. These spots have just appeared in the last few days.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pet
3/3/2010
Pet Specialist: TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE replied 7 years ago
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

The nick on the head could have been as a result of an injury and from what you describe the brown spot sounds like something called a gravid spot which is an indication that a guppy is pregnant. The red streaks are an indication of a bacterial infection called Septicemia which is basically internal bleeding.

What I suggest be done to treat this is:

1) Change 30% of the water in the tank

2) Add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons20 litres of water. The salt will help heal the open wound.

3) Begin to treat with a medicine called Maracyn-Two or Furan 2, click on links below for views of both products. Which ever medicine is used make sure to follow the directions on the product label. Both medicines should be readily available at most major pet stores.

Note: if you're located outside of the USA let me know and I'll recommend a medicine easier to find.

As a matter of regular maintainance, 25% of the water should be changed once a week.

This will help keep the fish healthy.

Best wishes and let please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4842

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4827

.

Edited by TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO on 3/3/2010 at 3:43 PM EST
un
Hi again. I didn't quite understand your most recent reply which stated "un". Please clarify. Thank you.

I apologize I clicked the button before I was ready. I'm pretty certain the fish cannot be pregnant. He is a fancy-tail male guppy. The place is right past his anal area. It is somewhat small nearly on the underneath side of him.

Thank you for the clarification as obviously a male guppy cannot be pregnant.

Taking that into consideration the brown spot would indicate an unfavorable reaction to something in the water, possibly the presence of ammonia and/or nitrites.

The recommendations given earlier would still apply. I'm not sure if you received the message I added-on stating " Note: if you're located outside of the USA let me know and I'll recommend a medicine easier to find."

.

Also, the brown spot almost looks barely raised kind of like a mole on human skin. Are we sure this is not some kind of parasite? Also after giving the treatment last night of api general cure anti-parasitic med the red streaks in his tail are nearly gone. I'm a little confused.

Parasites generally do not have the appearance of a mole and most of the time cannot be seen with the human eye although there are exceptions such as the Ick parasite.

If you suspect that the brown spot is a parasite then General Cure should cure it as it's specifically designed to treat parasites.

As for how the red streaks are subsiding---if you did a partial or 100% water change this would have helped or it's possible that 1) the fish's immune system is strong enough to fight off the problem on its own or 2) it was only a mild case.

Seeing as you've already started treating with General Cure you can continue treating with it following the directions on the product label and if the spot does not disappear then try my recommendations.

Listed below is a link, click on it, which will supply you with some detailed information about Septicemia (red streaks).

http://www.nippyfish.net/septicemia.html

.

I think you may have been correct concerning the septicemia because of his open wound. Now that I don't think I have parasite problem, I think the septicemia could be a bigger problem. I think there is a possibility he got better because of the 20% water change on Monday night. I am concerned of the other fish picking on him. In addition to the male guppy, my child has one more guppy, a long tailed zebra danio, a golden zebra danio, and a red glofish. This of course is all in a 20 gal tank. Do I need to isolate him by either placing a divider in the tank or putting him in a net in the tank? I have no way of completely removing him from the tank. I've heard danio's can sometimes be a little aggressive, and I have to wonder if one of them is the guilty party for the wound. I am also conerned of the antibiotics harming the well fish. Also, if I discontinue the general cure early am I taking a chance of hurting the fish? and will the aquarium salt bother the danios?

If your concerned about the other fish picking on the sick guppy, a tank divider would be a good solution.

I don't think the danios were responsible for the fish's injury as although they are quite active they are generally peaceful fish but anything's possible.

It would be best to treat the whole aquarium so as to prevent anything from spreading but make sure to follow the directions on the medicine's product label for usage/dosage/length of treatment instructions.

Discontinuing the General Cure treatment will not cause any harm.

The aquarium salt dosed at 1 teaspoon per every 5 gallons of water will not harm any of the fish. The only time salt is not recommended is when there are scaleless fish such as catfish and plecos in the tank.

And always remember that in order to help maintain proper fish health, weekly 25% partial water changes are necessary.

.

just to be certain, one more question concerning the wound on his head. I don't think that he has this disease but I want make sure of what to look for. The person at the pet store last night thought he might have hole-in-the head disease. The wound has gotten a little bigger since we first noticed it, but it is blood red. It reminds me of when someone has cut themselves shaving and the skin has been nicked. I've looked at pictures of a different kind of fish with this disease and it does not appear to be the same. What do I look for with this disease? Also thankyou for telling me about the problem with salt in the tank concerning plecos, we had one and he went belly up within 2 wks of getting it. That explains alot. Can you recommend a good algae eater that will eat off walls, rocks and decorations that can tolerate the salt? Don't worry we won't add it until we get our water conditions right.

Hole-in-the-Head (HITH) is a parasitic disease which rarely affects guppies. It's primary victim is Oscar fish.

Although the disease implies one hole there are usually more holes n the fish. A fish with HITH will have a hole in it's body usually the head and will have small white threads coming out of the hole which are parasites.

Based on the symptom you've described and the fact that you saw visual images of HITH it's safe to say the fish does not have it.

The standard pleco available at most fish pet stores is ideal for eating algae off of tank walls. There is no pleco that tolerates salt well so if you decide to add a pleco to the tank it would be best to cease adding salt.

.

For now, before adding another pleco, when we are doing these water changes to heal my guppy per directions on the box of the medicine, do I add enought salt for the entire tank size or just the amount of water I'm adding back to the tank because there is already salt in the water from previous water changes. I always put the salt in the water being added to the tank, enough for the entire tank, instead of directly to the tank so I can make sure it is most of the way dissolved. I don't want to have too much salt in the water.
If the tank is already dosed at the proper level= 1 teaspoon per every 5 gallons then you would only add the amount of salt that corresponds with the amount of water being added. Salt does not get added when adding water to compensate for evaporation as salt does not evaporate.
thank you so much for your patience, we are still learning how to take care of our fish, your information has been very helpful. I've found going to pet stores, alot of the people I have dealt with must be more/less hobbyists and can sometimes have conflicting answers. Is there an informative website I can go to when I really don't need to talk to someone? When I just need information such as how many fish won't overload my size tank, information about the different kinds of fish such as has many of there kind needs to be in the tank for them to be happy, what kinds of fish live together well, different things just to make them comfortable, etc.?

As for a web site that's interactive the only one that I know of is this one, Just Answer, where one can get real time answers and usually quickly.

As for basic information about fish you can try this site:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/

.

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
After talking with you, I think I've done a real oops! There is no telling how high my salt level is because, we've been adding enough salt for the whole tank during water changes. Is there some way to check our salt level? Should I be concerned about it being too high? What do I do if it is too high?

Hi again and please forgive my delay in getting back to you.

The instrument used to check the amount of salt in water is called a Hydrometer.

Click on link below to view a typical Hydrometer. They're easily found at most major pet stores where fish are sold. Follow the instructions for the individual product on how to use it. When working with Hydrometers you'll often see the phrase "specific gravity" this basically means the amount of salt in the water.

If your tank water's results show a level of 1.004 or lower then it's fine. If not then do a 25% water change without adding aquarium salt.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4945

.

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO