Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

my black moor fantail goldfish fins are losing color whats

my black moor fantail goldfish fins are losing color what's causing it and how do we treat it
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 8 years ago.

How many fish are losing their color?

How many gallons/litres of water does the tank hold?

How long has the tank been up and running with fish in it?

.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its a five gallon tank we have four goldfish two gold fantail and two black moors both of the black moors seem to be losing color we were just getting ready to buy a bigger tank for we had them in two small tanks but one end up breaking we had the fish since dec. 23rd and the black moors have been sick before back in Jan. with fin rot but that was taken care of

Thank you for the information.

Under normal circumstances I would have suspected that this is just a normal color change as goldfish do indeed change color and usually to more of a drab/plain coloring but given the fact that 2 fish at the exact same time are changing color and due to the fact that there's been a chronic illness problem in the tank I would be inclined to believe that the color loss is due to unfavorable water conditions.

Supporting my theory is the fact that the tank is overcrowded and an overcrowded tank is quite susceptible to quickly deteriorating water quality.

My recommendations are simple:

Start off by changing 50% of the water in the tank making sure to use dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the water already in the tank.

Add 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt to the water right after the partial water change.

Add a product to the water called Stress Coat which can be found at most major pet stores. Follow the directions on the product label for usage/dosage instructions.

Drastically cut down on the amount of food being fed to the fish. Feed only a small pinch of food once a day and no more. Excess feeding leads to excess fish waste which in turn deteriorates the water quality.

Ok---as a regular maintainance routine continue to change 50% of the water every 4-5 days making sure to continue with the minimal feedings.

Verify that the water temperature is in the proper range for goldfish which is 62f-72f degrees. Goldfish are coldwater fish and do not do well in warm water.

I'm not unneccesarily going to recommend a medicine because this is not a disease issue but a water quality issue and if you ask a pet store employee they will ofcourse say this is a disease issue so that they can sell you a medicine as this is how many pet stores make money.

Best wishes and please let me know if you have any questions.

.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we have done that but they completly lost all color its clear on there fins and parts of there bodies we got some stress relief stuff we use about one every two weeks and and have been changing there water every week leaving a lil less then half in there cause it gets too cloudy

If the problem has continued you will need to change 1/2 the water more often as mentioned earlier every 4-5 days and not once a week.

You'll also need to drastically cut down on the amount of food being fed. If you're feeding a lot it will continue to pollute the water.

One of the reasons for the cloudy water is that the water parameters are not in order.

And as mentioned in my original post the tank is overcrowded. This will cause health problems and open the fish up to disease.

Once you house the fish in the larger tank you're planning to get, you will have much less difficulty with these issues. Basically the more water there is- the better.

.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so that's what causing the fins to be completly clear all i see is the form of the fin but that's it.

If the fin is completely visible that is to say not shredded or torn in any way then it is not diseased but if it's a color loss issue it's as I mentioned earlier-- a water quality issue.

The fact that there has been a chronic health problem in the tank points to water quality problems which I've been trying to stress to you.

If you more feel comfortable by adding a medicine then I'd suggest using one called Melafix which can be easily found at most major pet stores.

.