Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have 2 5 year old goldfish who are in a 55 gallon tank.

Customer Question
I change 20% of the...
I have 2 5 year old goldfish who are in a 55 gallon tank. I change 20% of the water each week. I've recently been having a significant algae problem and have been treating with an algaecide. The fish are getting more lethargic and either staying still at the bottom of the tank or now spending all their time at the surface, looking like they are gasping for air. The ph is steady at 7.0 and the ammonia and nitrate levels are low. One of the fish is starting to get pink streaks on the fins and body and has some kind of lesion near the mouth--I can't tell if it is trauma or something else. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
3/2/2010
Pet Specialist: TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE replied 8 years ago
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

You wrote "ammonia and nitrate levels are low".

Do you have the exact test results for ammonia?

Did you test for nitrites too and if so what was the exact result?

When you say the levels are low do you mean that they are not -0- but a little above -0-?

.