Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

fish: hi i have had a new tank set up, after the first 3 weeks

hi i have had a...
hi i have had a new tank set up, after the first 3 weeks i introduced a guppy, molly, silver shark and a crown plec to the tank. all was fine. i then put in 4 rainbow fish. five days later i noticed that the molly had red swollen gills and eyes. i done a 10% water change for the last 3 day, but tonight when i got home there was a dead rainbow fish. i have never had a problem keeping fish untill now so dont have a answer.

im guessing the amonia was to high so did the water change. but now have second thoughts that the nitrates were too low and a water change was the wrong thing to do. any help or knowlage would be very gratefull! dont want to lose any more fish and have a healthy tank! thanks in advance!
3/2/2010
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE

What's happening in your tank is generally called New Tank Syndrome.

Listed below are 3 links, click on them, which will explain the basics of cycling and give you an overview of New Tank Syndrome.

It's safe to say that the fish are suffering from either ammonia poisoning and/or nitrite poisoning. In a newly set up tank or one in which all of the water or a large amount of water was changed the occurance of ammonia and nitrites is normal. In an established tank ammonia and nitrites are quickly eliminated but in new water not enough "good" bacteria exists yet to break them down.

Both are ammonia and it's follower nitrites are harmful and lethal to fish as you are seeing.

I would strongly recommend that you obtain an ammonia and nitrites test kit and begin testing/monitoring them. Your tank water will be considered cycled/established when both ammonia and nitrites test at ZERO. At this point in time the fish will for the most part be out of danger.

What I recommend be done are:

1) Test the water as mentioned above. I am sure either or both ammonia and nitrites will be present. Keep testing every 3 days.

2) Do an immediate 30% partial water change using dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the water already in the tank. Also when ammonia and/or nitrites rise to an intolerable level do a 25% partial water change.

3) Do not change or clean the filter nor the filter media as this is where the beneficial bacteria that breaks down ammonia/nitrites will colonize.

4) Drastically cut down on the amount of food being fed to the fish. Feed the fish only a small pinch of food every other day. Overfeeding leads to excess fish waste and decaying matter both of which are fuel for ammonia/nitrite growth.

5) Do not add anymore fish to the tank until ammonia and nitrites are completely eliminated.

6) Do not use any products/additives designed to rid the water of ammonia/nitrites. These type of products are only a temporary fix.

And on a final note- - please be patient as the average fish tank takes about 6-8 weeks to rid itself of ammonia and nitrites, longer if the guidlines above are not followed.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html

http://www.firsttankguide.net/newtanksyndrome.php

have you had any fish with the same symptoms, if so what did you do. i know that a tank needs time to cycle but the fish that were alredy in there were healthy. i have done a 10% water change tonight but its 12.33am and no way of getting a sample kit this time of night. what would you do?

If I were in your situation, and believe me I have been, I would change 30% of the water immediately and not feed the fish until Wednesday.

The water change would lower the levels of ammonia/nitrites in the water and possibly buy the fish some time. Not feeding the fish would result in less fish waste and less decaying uneaten food thus temporarily reducing the fuel for ammonia/nitrite growth.

.

thanks

You're most welcome and best of luck with your aquarium.

You have a fine set-up.

.

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO