Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

weve had our rat for a little over a week. we were told hes…

Customer Question
weve had our rat for...
weve had our rat for a little over a week. we were told hes 7 months ols. his eye looks like it is turning a little wet looking around the outside, not red tears, but a little crusty. his respitory sounds fine, his eating is fine. hes a bit more mello than his cage mate. should i be alarmed? i cant seem to find info on rat eye illness.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/1/2010
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

The problem with eye symptoms is that they are often not related to an eye illness. Of course it's possible your rat is suffering from an eye infection or irritation. Sometimes when one eye develops symptoms, it means there is an abscess, malformed tooth, or even a tumor pressing against the eye from inside the head. Eye discharge can also be the first sign of a respiratory infection. There won't be anything you can do about these conditions on your own. If some type of infection is the problem, it will take prescription antibiotics to clear that up. The following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password XXXXX well.

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

I can give you some first aid measures that will soothe your rat's eyes, but you'll need to see a vet for an accurate diagnosis and treatment.Until you can get to a vet, you can put a drop or two of preservative-free saline solution (the kind made for contacts) in his eyes every few hours. You should also keep him in a dark room. When the eyes are like this, light hurts them. Use a dust-free soft litter, such as CareFresh brand, because it is less likely to cause further irritation.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be something easily treated.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
thank you but i didnt hear from you as soon as i was hoping, i actually spent quite a bit of time with experts at pet smart that gave me the same information that morning when i wrote to you. the rats eye seems to be fine and nothing symptomatic is happening. im cleaaning water food and bedding daily, and both seem fine. thank you.
I'm sorry there was a delay. There were some issues witht he site that day, leading to delays in notifications. I'm glad to hear your rat is doing better.

Anna