First aid for a GoldFish. It is staying close to the top off water near the filtering system. It seems off balanced and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: First aid for a GoldFish. It is staying close to the top off water near the filtering system. It seems off balanced and is sometimes turning sideways and almost upside down. It is about Three years old. A basic all Goldfish color. Any thoughts? Filter unit appears to be operating. Any thoughts?
Answered by CYBERCALL in 5 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
CYBERCALL
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

From the information you've supplied I would have to say that all signs point to a problem with the fish's swim bladder. The swim bladder is responsible for a fish being able to swim upright and maintain its buoyancy. When it becomes blocked, infected or too full of air it ceases to function properly as you are witnessing with your fish.

What I recommend be done in an attempt to treat this problem is to begin to feed the fish canned peas without the husk/shell. Feed 2-3 peas twice a day making sure to clean out of the tank any uneaten portions. Peas are well known to clear out a fish's swim bladder. It's best to feed the pea diet exclusively. If the pea diet does not work then try the pea diet with intermitent days of fasting.

In addition to the pea diet you can try re-treating the fish with Maracyn-Two which could prove helpful in curing sbd as some cases are caused by bacteria. Make sure to follow the directions on the product label for dosage amounts.

It would also be helpful to not fill the fish's tank up to the top with water. Leave about 2-3 inches from the top free as this will lessen the amount of water pressure on the fish.

You can even add aquarium salt to the fish's tank water at a ratio of 1 tablespoon per every 5 gallons of water. The salt will serve as a general tonic.

Please keep in mind that sbd can sometimes be very difficult to cure and is one of the

most common problems fishkeepers face. Listed below are 2 links which will give you additional information concerning swim bladder disease.

Best wishes and please let me know if you have any questions.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1026.0

http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/swim_bladder_disease/

.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CYBERCALL
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CYBERCALL
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.