I noticed fin rot in my 2 fancy goldfish. I have a 30 gal tank with biowheel filtration. I changed 25% water before

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I noticed fin rot in my 2 fancy goldfish. I have a 30 gal tank with biowheel filtration. I changed 25% water before adding some fizzy fungus /bacterial med that the pet/aquarium store recommended. The water is now green and how/when do I know if it is actually working? Should I change the water again. It's been four days since I added the tablets. Thanks
Answered by CYBERCALL in 26 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
CYBERCALL
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

How long has the tank been up and running with fish in it?

,

Customer
almost 2 years

Thank you for the information.

The color of the water is an indication of an overgrowth of algae.

Algae is caused by excess nutrients caused by overfeeding, excessive light and not enough regular partial water changes.

So what I recommend be done to control algae growth is significantily cut down on the amount of food being fed to the fish. Feed the fish only a pinch of food once a day.

It's also advisable to only turn on the light when viewing and/or feeding the fish. This would not hold true of there are live plants in the tank in which case 8 hours of light is necessary. If the tank is receiving direct sunlight then this would also cause algae blooms.

In the stuggle against algae it's also beneficial to change 25% of the water once a week.

These partial water changes will also benefit the fish.

As for the medicine working. If it is indeed doing its job you will see the fish's fins begin to grow back.

What I recommend be done is once again change 25% of the water except this time add some aquarium salt at a ratio of 1 tablespoon per every 5 gallons of water.

Instead of using the medicine currently being used switch to a medicine called

Maracyn-Two which is highly effective in treating Fin Rot. Click on link below for a view of the product which can be easily found at most majot pet stores. Just follow the directions on the product label for usage/dosage instructions.

Best wishes and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4842

.

TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO40099.7716555903
Customer
Actually the fizzy tabs made the water green but I may also have the light on too long per day because I do get algae but not to the extent it turns the water green. I have been adding salt each time I change 25% of tank(usually monthly, of 30 gal tank) I replace salt for the amount of water I have added. About how long will it take to see fins grow back and on my Oranda there is black at tip of some fins is that something else?

If the fizzy tabs, which if I'm not mistaken are manufactured by Jungle Labs, make the water green then it's best to cease using them.

You're already adding salt--great! but I would recommend changing 25% of the water once a week or every 2 weeks instead of once a month.

If the fins have not been eaten away up to their base then you should see the fins start to regenerate in about 7 days with full recovery in about 15-20 days but much of the chances of the fins recovering depends on how advanced the fin rot is.

The black coloring on the tip of the fins is something called ammonia burn which is a reaction to ammonia in the water. As you are probably aware ammonia is harmful to fish and in an established tank is caused by overfeeding, lack of sufficient partial water changes. overcrowding and/or under-filtration.

..

Customer
Thanks so much. Your info is greatly appreciated. I'll get right on it...

You're welcome and thank you for your accept and most generous bonus.

Good luck!

.

Customer
An I still able to ask a question on this situation? I need some follow-up info today if possible

Yes you can ask a follow-up question.

.

Customer
I did a 25% water change on Tuesday and started the Maracyn two like you suggested. Into the third day - yesterday - fish behaved odd. staying at top of tank alot as though they needed Oxygen. I had added salt for the 10 gal I replaced. Water temp in normal range. Water quality and ammonia all in proper range. Fins on Oranda still black - this is after the Junglelab tabs and now the Maracyn two- so I don't know if anything is working and fish seemed stressed. Yesterday put back in one of my carbon filters - they had been out a week. This is an office tank and I will not be there for another hour today so I don't know what happened to them in the night. someone else suggested Stress Coat but at this stage I'm not sure if I should stop Maracyn two or finish last two days - providing they are still alive or what.. Any help appreciated!

When you put the carbon filter in the tank it effectively filtered out the medicine.

You mentioned "Water quality and ammonia all in proper range" so I assume that to mean ammonia is at -0-, if not then there is a problem.

As you're most probably aware there should be an air/oxygen emitting device in the tank. Just wanted to confirm.

What I suggest be done is confirm that ammonia is none existant in the water as black colored fins are an indication of ammonia burn. Finish administering Maracyn-Two without the carbon in the filter. Do another 25% partial change and see how the fish reacts right after the water change.

You can try using Stress Coat as it's an excellent product. It contains aloe vera and is a good healing product but the botXXXXX XXXXXne here is there's something not right with the water quality. As a precaution check/test for levels of nitrites and nitrates too. Results should indicate nitrites=-0- and nitrates 20 ppm or lower.

.

Customer
Ammonia is 0 and I do have an air stone and air pump set-up. One store checked water yesterday and said it was OK but I'll check myself again today. The maracyn two said it's OK to have carbon filter in if it's over 6 days use so that's why I put it back and since there had been none in the tank for a week. The maracyn two info also said that after 24 hours the active ingredients in it are used so it's OK to filter. I just did that as a precaution. I did notice that there was a long very thin orange string in the water - waste from fish? - that prompted me to think I needed to have carbon filters in. I may be wrong on that. Could the meds just make the fish act this way?

Ok I'm glad it's confirmed that ammonia=-0- but remember to check for levels of nitrites and nitrates as nitrites are almost as harmful as ammonia.

If the Maracyn-Two product label said it's ok to have carbon, that has been used for more than 6 days, in the filter then we'll follow the guidance of the manufacturer but please keep in mind that the filter has to have been actively used in the water for at least 6 days prior to adding the medicine.

Medicines if dosed properly should not cause odd fish behavior. Disease and unfavorable water conditions, which usually go hand in hand, are the culprits of unusual fish behavior.

.

Customer
I'll check the nitrites today and see what's happening when I get to work. Hope they are OK. Whether fur or fin, land or water I do care about my pet friends. Thanks. I might get back to you tomorrow a.m.

Yes please do check the nitrites..and nitrates too.

I too also hope the fish bounces back.

.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CYBERCALL
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CYBERCALL
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.