I have a large 5 or 6 yrs. old orangered ryukin, who is face down in corner almost upside down. I changed 3/4 tank

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a large 5 or 6 yrs. old orangered ryukin, who is face down in corner almost upside down. I changed 3/4 tank water, added sea salt. has not helped. I separated him from the other diff. species gold fish all of which are fine and same size betwwen 5 to 8 inches long. what is wrong? what can I do? what meds. can I get if any?
Answered by CYBERCALL in 20 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
CYBERCALL
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Your goldfish is suffering from Swim Bladder Disorder (sbd).

The swim bladder is responsible for a fish being able to swim upright and maintain its buoyancy. When it becomes blocked, infected or too full of air it ceases to function properly.

Many types of fish are highly susceptible to this disorder mainly because of the odd shapes of some species, genetics and poor breeding practices.

The way to treat sbd is to begin to feed the fish canned peas without the husk/shell. Feed 2-4 peas twice a day making sure to clean out any uneaten portions. Peas are well known to clear out a fish's swim bladder. It's best to feed the pea diet exclusively. If the pea diet does not work then try the pea diet with intermitent days of fasting.

In addition to the pea diet you can try treating the fish with a medicine called Maracyn-Two (USA) or Interpet Aquarium 13-Swimbladder(outside of USA) which could prove helpful in curing sbd as some cases are caused by bacteria. Follow the directions on the product label for dosage amounts.

It would also be helpful to not fill the fish's tank up to the top with water leaving about 2-3 inches/5-8 centimeters from the top free as this will lessen the amount of water pressure on the fish.

Please keep in mind that sbd can sometimes be very difficult to cure and is one of the

most common problems goldfish keepers face.

Best wishes and please let me know if you have any questions.

.

TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO40098.7192861111
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CYBERCALL
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CYBERCALL
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.