Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I recently bought 2 Sugar Gliders theyre brother and sister

I recently bought 2 Sugar...
I recently bought 2 Sugar Gliders they're brother and sister and I wanted to know if it was ok to let them breed?
10/11/2009
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Breeding closely-related animals is called inbreeding. Breeding brother to sister is the closest type of inbreeding possible. It is not a good idea. Most captive sugar gliders have already been intensively inbred. This has led to inherited dental problems, faulty immune systems, and genetic defects of internal organs. If you breed brother to sister, your chances of having these types of problems crop up in the babies are greatly increased. In addition, if babies are born defective, the mother is likely to kill and partially eat them. It's a gruesome sight to come upon a newborn litter that has been destroyed by their mother. The following site has a chart that explains the various types of inbreeding and also discusses the subject a little more:

http://www.petsugargliders.com/sgkin.php

The best thing to do would be to have the male neutered by an experienced exotic animal vet. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

They were a breeders first litter and she had them in the same cage. She also told me she didn't know if the female was pregnant or not. I bought them the 25th of September would she show any signs that she was pregnant? She also called me the next day and told me that she didn't spend much time with them female had a seizure that morning will she be ok or do I need to take her to a vet? What can I do to tame them and make it where my 3 children can pet them without them trying to bite them. They also make a lot of noise when you get near them is this normal?

The gestation period of the sugar glider is only 16 to 18 days. That means if the female is pregnant, she should have babies in the next few days. However, there will be no visible signs of pregnancy. Sugar gliders are marsupials. The babies are born very tiny, so the mother doesn't get fatter. The newborns crawl into the pouch, where they develop for another 60 to 70 days before coming out. Here's a site where you can read more about sugar gliding breeding:

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/sugarglider.htm

As for biting, that's often part of the bonding process. The noise is normal for animals that are stressed out by being in a new place with unfamiliar people. Once they adjust, the noise should decrease.The following site goes into taming and biting in much more detail than I can do here. I recommend that you take a look at it.

http://www.geocities.com/sugargliderrescue/taming.htm

Seizures can be caused by many different things. There are bacterial infections, congenital defects, injuries, parasites, epilepsy, and still other possibilities. In some cases, no cause is ever found. However, any animal that has a seizure should be examined by a vet, so it would be a good idea to do that.

Anna

Edited by Anna on 10/11/2009 at 2:21 AM EST
She told me that she talked to her vet and he said she was fine however I didn't call the vet to ask him should I do so? If she is pregnant will the Joeys be alright or will I not know until they come out of the pouch?
You won't know about the little ones until they come out of the pouch. If there are some in there, you'll become aware of their presence as they grow bigger.

I would want to talk to the vet myself, if I were you. That way, you can be sure that she really took the sugar glider to the vet, and that the vet actually said the glider would be OK.

Anna

If I was to get another female to put in with the two I already have would they get along?

The breeder I got them from only gave them fruit and I've recently introduced mealworms to them. How many should I give them a day? He will eat as many as you'll let him but she's a little shy still and won't come out of the pouch to let me feed them to her. Should I just leave them in the bowl for her? They're live mealworms.

In nature, sugar gliders live in groups, with one male breeding with several females. In captivity, gliders may sometimes not get along. I especially do not recommend getting another female if you aren't going to neuter your male. You could easily end up with way too many gliders to properly care for.

Feeding sugar gliders is actually pretty complicated. It is OK to leave mealworms in a bowl, but don't let them loose in the cage.There is no certain number of mealworms they should eat, and the sources of protein should be varied. They also need fruits and vegetables, some dry food, and certain supplements. For details, see this site:

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/sugar-glider-care.htm

The site also has all the information you'll need to properly care for your gliders.

Anna

Anna

I have one last question I hope. My female gets agitated if the male leaves her or if anyone gets near her while he's not with her. Why does she act this way?

She is bonded to him, and feels nervous or anxious when he's not near. Thsi will be especially noticeable when she's in an unfamiliar situations, such as a new home.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
I thought it would have passed by now since he's use to us and comes out anytime. Thank you for all your help I greatly appreciate it.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist