How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea Roberts Your Own Question
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 2379
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Andrea Roberts is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My guinea pig has been losing weight but she is still eating

This answer was rated:

My guinea pig has been losing weight but she is still eating and drinking normally. Her chin always appears wet. She is about 4 years old and is caged with another female who is fine. I use pine shavings for bedding which has not been a problem in the past.

Hi there

Usually if a guinea pig is loosing weight and has a wet chin, then it's a dental problem.

It's not usually an incisor problem though- it's usually a problem with the molar teeth (which you can't see without a special scope).

These can become overgrown and then rub on the tongue and cheeks, causing the guinea pig to drool.

My advise would be to get these molar teeth checked at your vets- as if it is them, the sooner they are burred down (sedation is required) then the better for her.

Regards Andrea

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, I'm a licensed vet tech in NY, but where I am there is not any vet who knows about guinea pigs. I figured that was probably it, but how can it be done if no one around here has the correct tools?

Very difficult without the correct tools that for sure!!

The sedation is pretty easy- there's lots of options for that from a sniff of gas to injectable drugs, however, you do need the correct dental equipment, and preferably a 'dental burr' to burr down the overgrown molars- so ideall you will need to find a small animal vet that deals with rabbits and rodents. Although if you can't find a vet that does have a dental burr, then a rasp (to rasp off the sharp edges) is better than nothing.


Andrea Roberts and 2 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you