How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger L. Welton, DVM Your Own Question
Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 1451
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, And Book Author
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Roger L. Welton, DVM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my goldfish has got like a water filled blister on the top

Resolved Question:

my goldfish has got like a water filled blister on the top of it head and also the top fin is flat against the body. what could be wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 8 years ago.
That "blister" you are seeing could be an abscess, perhaps caused by an injury that got infected. What you should do first and foremost is make certain that the water is clean. The best way to acheieve this, is to have a biological filter apporpiate to the size of the tank, as well as have teh cartridge changedas often as reocmmended. Next, you should empty 20% of the water once monthly, and replaced with fresh, clean water. If you have a gold fish bowl, then 30% o fthe water should be changed once every 2 weeks - but if this is the case, I would switch to a small tank witha biological filter - I have never been a fan of bowls for housing fish.

These measures will help the fish recover rom an infection, as well ad prevent this from happening again.

As far as directly dealing with the infection, you should purchase Maracyn for fish tanks. This is an antibiotic (tetracycline) that can be purchased over the counter and is very effective for most bacterial infections in fish. It is a water additive, with the amount added for treatment based on teh size of the tank. You can find it at most pet stores, aquarium stores, or online by keyword search.
Roger L. Welton, DVM and 3 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you