I have a 45gallon tank with twelve small goldfish and one one large fancy goldfish. In the beginng the large goldfish

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Good morning I have a 45gallon tank with twelve small goldfish and one one large fancy goldfish . In the beginng the large goldfish would swim on a angle with head down now he swims upside down all the time. What can I do to help him?
Answered by CYBERCALL in 2 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
CYBERCALL
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

The cause of the fish's swimming problem is in is an ailment called Swim Bladder Disorder (sbd) which is obviously a disorder that affects a fish's swim bladder. The swim bladder is responsible for a fish being able to swim upright and maintain its buoyancy. When it becomes blocked, infected or too full of air it ceases to function properly as you are witnessing with your fish.

Many types of goldfish are highly susceptible to this disorder mainly because of the odd shapes of some species, genetics and poor breeding practices.

There really does not exist a fool-proof way to prevent sbd but by maintaining excellent water conditions and soaking flake food prior to feeding can lower the prevalence of the disorder. The reason for soaking flake food, prior to feeding, in tank water set aside, is that the flakes will absorb water thus lessening the amount of air the fish intakes when gulping the food

The traditional way to treat this is by isolating the affected fish in a quarantine tank, if being housed with other fish, using water from the main tank so as to not change the fish's environment too much.

Once seperated begin to feed the fish canned peas without the husk/shell. Feed 2-4 peas twice a day making sure to clean out any uneaten portions. Peas are well known to clear out a fish's swim bladder. It's best to feed the pea diet exclusively. If the pea diet does not work then try the pea diet with intermitent days of fasting.

In addition to the pea diet you can try treating the fish with a medicine called Maracyn-Two (USA) or Interpet Aquarium 13-Swimbladder(outside of USA) which could prove helpful in curing sbd as some cases are caused by bacteria. Follow the directions on the product label for dosage amounts.

It would also be helpful to not fill the fish's tank up to the top with water leaving about 2-3 inches from the top free as this will lessen the amount of water pressure on the fish.

Please keep in mind that sbd can sometimes be very difficult to cure and is one of the

most common problems goldfish keepers face.

Listed below are 2 links which will further elaborate on sbd.

Best wishes and please let me know if you have any questions.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1026.0

http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/swim_bladder_disease/

.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CYBERCALL
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CYBERCALL
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.