Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

Hi, Ive had a black molly for about three months now. For

Hi, I've had a black molly for about three months now. For the past two days he's been swimming upside down in circles. I quarantined him in his own tank, but he doesn't seem to be getting better. Is there anything I can do, or should I just humanely euthanize him?

You mentioned that the fish is "swimming upside down in circles". Whilst the fish is swimming in this manner is it "diving" up and down or is it swimming in circles in a horizontal manner?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's sitting at the bottom of the tank circling horizontally. Occassionally if disturbed it will swim up to the top and then back down while circling.

Thanks for the information.

Your fish is suffering from something called Whirling Disease which is caused by a parasite that invades the fish's head and spinal cartilage and is what's causing the fish to swim in circles. Sadly there is no known cure for this ailment and it's usually recommended that an affected fish be euthanized.

Some fishkeepers say there is a link between feeding fish Tubifex worms and contracting Whirling Disease but I have had a fish and know of others who've had fish

with Whirling Disease and Tubifex worms were not part of their diet so the link is still considered speculative.

Listed below is a link which will describe a very humane method to euthanize fish.

(Read area under-"Preferred Method: Clove Oil and Tank Water Method")

I wish there was a better prognosis and please keep in mind that this illness did not occur because of anything you did. It just randomly occurs.

Best wishes.

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/ailment1.htm#death

.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just for informations sake,

I have not fed my fish any Tubifex worms. Hopefully this isn't something that transmits to other fish easily as I have three others in the tank he was in before he was quarantined. Sadly he is being euthanized with the clove oil treatment, but at least I gave him a fighting chance.

Thanks so much for your help.
~Nicole

The Tubifex worm theory is exactly that--a theory. I personally believe the Tubiflex-Whirling disease link is just a coincidence.

Based on my experience Whirling Disease is not contagious so there's no need to be overly concerned about the other fish catching it.

Your situation reminded me of my first encounter with Whirling Disease. I was a beginner and it happened to a Black Molly. It took me a while to finally find out what the diagnosis was. Thank goodness this horrible ailment is rare.

Take care Nicole and thank you for your accept.

.