How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LennyDVM Your Own Question
LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 548
Experience:  30 years in various aspects of veterinary medicine including private practice, teaching and research
11484156
Type Your Pet Question Here...
LennyDVM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate part of an aloe vera plant. Will she be ok. She

Resolved Question:

My dog ate part of an aloe vera plant. Will she be ok. She is a 16 week old great dane/lab mix.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

How much did she eat?

 

Aloe is considered toxic to dogs. Common signs of toxicity are vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors and change in urine color. The seriousness of the toxicity are related to the amount (dose) eaten.

 

You can call the Animal Poison Control Center ((888)(NNN) NNN-NNNN if you dog is showing clinical signs or you can get your vet to call if you plan to take her there. Either way, there is a charge, but if you are taking her to your vet, it might be best for your vet to get the info first hand.

 

 

 

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't think that she ate that much. It looks more like she just broke it apart. I keep getting different responses. Some one else told me that it was not the toxic and it may just make them have the runs. I called the vet and they said just to monitor her. I was wondering if there was anything else I could do for her
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

If a dog eats a lot, the clinical signs can be severe. If they don't eat much, it isn't very dangerous. The seriousness is related to dose eaten. "The runs" or diarrhea is caused by toxic chemicals in the plant. In aloe it is a glycoside that irritated the intestinal tract. Aloe is sometimes used as a herbal purgative.

 

If she just broke it apart and is not having signs at this time, she should be OK. I would not suggest doing anything except monitoring for drooling and vomiting. They would be the first signs followed by diarrhea. If she starts to vomit, withhold all food and water for 6-12 hours and then offer small amounts of water for a few hours followed by small amounts of food. You most likely will not see these effects if she is not currently showing signs.

 

 

LennyDVM and 2 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you