Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

How do I know if my guinea pig is pregnant

10/12/2008
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Experienced breeders and vets can tell if a guinea pig is pregnant by palpating the abdomen to feel for babies. It takes a long time to learn to do this, and it is possible to injure the babies if you do it wrong. It's also not foolproof. If a guinea pig is only carrying one or two babies, it can be hard to find them. Sometimes babies are re-absorbed, so a guinea pig that actually was pregnant when palpated still won't have any babies. The best thing to do is assume that if your guinea pig was bred, she is pregnant. As she gets near her due date, her sides may expand and then you'll know for sure.

The gestation period is 59-73 days. Baby guinea pigs are unusual in that they are born covered with hair, eyes open, and able to run around. They're quite adorable. The litter can range in size from 1-7 babies, with 2-4 being most common. The babies can be weaned between 2 and 3 weeks of age. By 3 weeks, many males are able to breed, so be sure to remove any male babies to a separate cage by that age. For more about guinea pig reproduction:

http://www.guinealynx.com/reproduction.html

If you have any further questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

Would there be any difference in her personality if she is pregnant?
Hormonal variations can cause personality changes. Some animals become more affectionate; a very few become aggressive. While such changes may indicate a pregnancy, they aren't a definite way to tell.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist