Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

We have two month old guinea pigs...what is the best thing

We have two month old guinea pigs...what is the best thing to feed them on? I know they need vitamin C, so I am feeding them a lot of fruits. Is there anything else I should or should not give them. I also have two male guinea pigs that get on really well as they are babies and brothers, my other question is should I neuter them or will they be okay without the procedure? Any other medical tips would be great . thanks
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello Claire, and thanks for your question.

The following will provide a good guide as to what to feed your guinea pigs:

"Guinea pigs are strict herbivores. They should be fed a complete, pellet diet made especially for guinea pigs that contains at least 16% crude protein. The pellets should not be fed more than 90 days after their milling (check the bag or box for the milling date). Also provide small amounts of grass hay, and supplement Piggy's diet with a source of active ascorbic acid, such as a handful of cabbage or half a handful of kale (washed and fresh) or a quarter of an orange. Because guinea pigs can't produce their own Vitamin C, you should add a Vitamin C supplement to their water-a teaspoon of Vitamin C liquid to 12 ounces of water. The water will need to be replaced daily, however, as the Vitamin C will lose its potency rather quickly.

In addition to the above, the following fruits and vegetables-fresh, washed, and with seeds or pits removed-can be fed as treats:

lettuce
broccoli
cauliflower
carrots
pea pods
pears
apples
oranges
peaches
strawberries
pineapple
papaya
blueberries"

You can find more information on how to care for your piggies here, the source of the above info:
http://www.la-spca.org/education/others/guinea_pig.htm

As you can see, piggies do need vitamin C, as they don't manufacture themselves, and a supplement is always recommended to be added to their water.

The following site will provide more important information re: your guinea pigs, and it IS recommended to neuter males. Make sure that you do have two males and not one of each gender, as you would not want them to reproduce.

http://www.2ndchance.info/guineapigcare.htm

Find a veterinarian in your area who sees 'pocket pets', and has experience with guinea pigs.

I wish you much good luck with your furry companions!

Cher