We have a bubble eye goldfish named cheeseball that we love. He has developed something strange and we want a good

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a bubble eye goldfish named cheeseball that we love. He has developed something strange and we want a good opinion before we just start putting medicine in the tank for the sake of it. One of his bubble sacs went a milky opaque colour inside, while the other remained clear. This stayed like this for a while then the white stuff started to clump together hanging off the insides of the bubble in stringy little masses. Some has fallen off the insides and now sits at the bottom of the sac, and some still hangs on the side. Nowhere else on him has any whitish growth and he is still hungry and active. Someone suggested Pimafix, which i bought but haven''t used yet, because no one can tell me what this really is. Also, we have two large apple snails that he plays with and several live plants. Will the pimafix (if you suggest we use it) kill or harm the snails or get in the plants which he and the snails eat. It is a 25 gallon tank and he is the only fish. When the opaque thing started, a pet store said our nitrates were very high. We have since done more frequent water changes, and bought a test kit and ammonia and nitrate levels seem good now. I hope you can help us. Thanks"
Answered by CYBERCALL in 24 mins 14 years ago
imglogo
CYBERCALL
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hi.

Thank you for the detailed description as it greatly helps me to help you.

Cheeseball is suffering from a fungal infection as can be seen by "white stuff clumped together" which is a classic symptom of a fungus.

Before I talk about a treatment plan and Pimafix I'd like to touch upon water quality and parameters. Having the water tested was an excellent move on your part as water quality is always the first place to look when a fish becomes ill. Nitrates are usually not harmful but at higher levels it can cause problems.

Treating the fish with a medicine any medicine will be futile if the water parameters are not good. Ideal test levels should be ammonia and nitrite=-0- and nitrates 20ppm or lower. The only way to lower nitrates is via regular partial water changes, as you have been doing, not overfeeding and proper filtration.

If the test levels are satisfactory it would then be ok to go ahead and medicate the fish. Pimafix and its sister product Melafix are all natural medicines, see link below. The advantage of using these medicines is that unlike other medicines they will not kill off the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium thus avoiding ammonia and nitrite spikes.

Pimafix in particular is designed amongst other things to treat fungal infections which is why it was suggested to you. It will not harm the snails nor the plants.

In my experience the only problem I have seen with Pimafix is that in some cases it is not strong enough but I do like it because of the fact that it will not harm the biological balance of the water.

So what I suggest you do is start out using Pimafix. If after 7 days the fish has not improved then it would be a good idea to use something stronger such as Maracyn Plus or Fungus Cure, see links below. Just keep in mind that if either of these medicines are used, you will need to monitor the water quality very carefully.

So please let me know if anything remains unclear and I will be most happy to clarify it.

Best wishes.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+11269&pcatid=11269

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4833

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16820TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO39607.8903320949
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CYBERCALL
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CYBERCALL
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.