Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Why are spayed dogs vulva and nipples enlarged

I adopted a 5 yr...
I adopted a 5 yr. old Boxer from our local shelter a few weeks ago. She has a scar on her belly, but has always had enlarged nipples and vulva. Is this normal in a spayed female or is it possible that she is not really spayed? I wasn''t sure if those parts stay big forever after having puppies or if the scar is from a C-section. She has had no signs of being in heat. Please advise. Thanks.
Expert: Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual. replied 9 years ago
Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
HiCustomer

A dog's breasts will become enlarged with heat, pregnancy and false pregnancy. A dog can also experience a false pregnancy after they are spayed as well. It can be difficult to determine if a dog is spayed or not and the lack of a heat cycle is the best indicator, though your vet could do an ultrasound to check it out. A swollen vulva can occur during heat which would resolve itself after about 3 weeks. A skin fold dermatitis might also cause a swollen vulva as well. Your vet should be able to diagnose this cause as well. also effective for cleaning the folds as well and to keep bacteria in the area down. You should apply miconazole cream to help clear the dermatitis if it is a yeast type dermatitis. You may also want to have your vet prescribe an antibiotic to help clear this infection up. Once the infection itself is cleared, keeping the area dry and free of bacteria with the wipes should help keep it cleared. You can read about skin fold dermatitis here:
http://www.utskinvet.org/dermatoses/04pyoderma.pdf

Sometimes during a spay operation, a small amount of tissue is left behind which can also cause some signs of heat even after spaying. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer that can be given without a hands on examination and tests. Hope this helps.

• Get a Professional AnswerVia email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.