Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

A newborn cockatiel needs what basic things/caring to

Customer Question
survive?...
A newborn cockatiel needs what basic things/caring to survive?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Pet
3/30/2008
Pet Specialist: Patricia, Parrot Consultant replied 9 years ago
Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant

Hello Christian. This is going to require a really in depth answer so if I can get some more information from you, it will help me give you my best advice and guidance.

When did this baby hatch?

Are there other eggs as well?

Is the baby still with both parent birds? If not, why not? Has something gone wrong?

Is the baby in a nest box or where?

Are both parents tending it?

Please tell me everything in the parents diet because we need to make sure they are getting everything they need to stay healthy during this process.

Is this your first experience having a bird hatch for you?

Do you know anything about hand feeding baby chicks.?

The more information I have, the better I can help.

Thanks, Patricia

The newborns were hatched this weekend;

There are 2 newborns.

The parent birds are inside the bird cage;

The newborns are inside the nestbox still;

This is my first tie to care for newborn cockatiels;

The foods are coming from the petstore;
Okay Christian. Thanks for the extra information. It's very helpful. Since you are totally new to this, there is nothing you should be doing and we are going to hope the parents handle the whole thing as they should. First off, do not disturb them with a lot of peeking in the nest box. And under no circumstance should you try to touch the chicks. The last thing you want to do is to cause the parents to get upset and have one or both of them stop feeding the babies. Hand feeding is not something you can learn only by reading about. Novices who try, will kill the chick on the first try, 99 out of 100 times. What you must do though is make sure the parents are getting plenty of the proper diet. If they are not eating anything but seeds, they are not even getting the bare essentials to be able to stay healthy, plus feed little ones. Their diet should not be more than about 25% seeds and seed products. They should have been getting lots of fruits, veggies, leafy greens and many other people foods to be healthy enough to start rearing young. However, what is done is done and you are going to have to do all you can to help them. Do not back off on the seeds they are getting now. They need whatever they will eat to try to feed the little ones. But, later one, after the chicks have weaned, you must start a gradual improvement of their diet. For now, you need to get some baby bird formula from the pet store. Kaytee Exact makes one of the best. It will be in powder form and you will only mix a very small amount with warm water. Do not leave it out more than couple hours as it grows bacterial quickly. Mix it to about the consistency of oatmeal with warm water. You are not, under any circumstance, going to try to give any to the chicks. You put it in a separate dish for the parents. The hope is they will eat it and in turn, feed it to the babies. You can also offer them steamed and fresh veggies, leafy greens, plain oatmeal, hard boiled or scrambled eggs and well done bean mixes. But the baby formula is very important since the parents are not eating correctly. Oh, also make sure there is a cuttle bone in the cage at all times. Don't ever let them run out of cuttle bone. I hope this helps and you will end up with healthy babys. If you have more questions let me know, or if something come up later on, I'll be here for you and will do my best, ***** ***** distance, to step you through whatever is needed. Good luck with them. Patricia
Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Patricia
Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant