Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Our rabbit ate rat poison is there anything we can do ...

Our rabbit ate rat poison is there anything we can do at home to reverse the affects.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 9 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that this unfortunate accident happened. There is nothing you can do at home. Baking soda and water will have no effect on rat poison. Your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. Take the rat poison box along, as there are several different kinds, and the vet will need to know what antidote to use. The only way your rabbit will survive this without treatment is if he ate only a VERY tiny amount of the poison.

If you cannot go to a vet, then consider surrendering your rabbit to the local shelter. Tell them what happened, and they will either arrange treatment or painlessly euthanize the rabbit. Dying from rat poison is a slow and painful death, usually caused by internal bleeding. It can take up to several days.

If you have further questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your rabbit will be fine.

Anna