How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 11421
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our rabbit ate rat poison is there anything we can do ...

Resolved Question:

Our rabbit ate rat poison is there anything we can do at home to reverse the affects.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 9 years ago.
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that this unfortunate accident happened. There is nothing you can do at home. Baking soda and water will have no effect on rat poison. Your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. Take the rat poison box along, as there are several different kinds, and the vet will need to know what antidote to use. The only way your rabbit will survive this without treatment is if he ate only a VERY tiny amount of the poison.

If you cannot go to a vet, then consider surrendering your rabbit to the local shelter. Tell them what happened, and they will either arrange treatment or painlessly euthanize the rabbit. Dying from rat poison is a slow and painful death, usually caused by internal bleeding. It can take up to several days.

If you have further questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your rabbit will be fine.

Anna
Anna and 2 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you