I have a 55 gal. Tank with nothing but fancy goldfish and both undergravel and outside filtration. I do my water changes

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 55 gal. Tank with nothing but fancy goldfish and both undergravel and outside filtration. I do my water changes and have the correct salt content, the tank is beautiful. My problem is that my largest and favorite calico fantail has been upside down now for 3 weeks. She started out only doing this after eating. Now it''s all the time. Can you tell me anything I can do to help her? Thank you,
Answered by CYBERCALL in 8 mins 14 years ago
imglogo
CYBERCALL
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

It appears your fish is suffering from an ailment called Swim Bladder Disorder. The Swim Bladder is the organ responsible for keeping the fish balanced and upright.

Sometimes when the Swim Bladder becomes overfilled with air as when a fish gulps it's food it will not function properly.

The easiest way to treat this is by feeding the fish canned peas without the husk or parboiled frozen peas without the husk. Feed 1 pea twice a day for about 14 days.

It's also a good idea to soak the fish's food in some tank water set aside prior to feeding as this will help eliminate some of the air contained in the food.

If you are feeding flake food it's best to crush it between your fingers and then soak it as this will decrease the chances of the fish intaking air with it's food.

If the pea diet does not help then you can try a medicine called Maracyn as some cases of swim bladder disorder are caused by bacteria.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CYBERCALL
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CYBERCALL
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.