Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I think my ferret is dying. Her breath is labored, she is ...

Customer Question
I think my ferret is...
I think my ferret is dying. Her breath is labored, she is stumbling and disoriented and having trouble moving when she tries. Is this the end or should I take her to the vet, or will this pass?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Pet
11/17/2007
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 10 years ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

When a Ferret starts acting this way something is seriously wrong. If you can get her to an ER Vet that would be the best situation. The ferrets hide illness and when this happens they need to be treated. The Ferret will need Sucutaneous fluids and time is very important. If you have some Pedialyte try offering that via eye dropper. You need to also get some nutrution into the ferret use Gerber chicken baby food. You can try and save your baby, but you needd to see a Vet ASAP. I can help you locate a Vet if needed with a Zip code. joan

my zip is 79925

Here is an ER clinic in your area:

El Paso Animal Emergency CenterXXXXXbr />El Paso, TX 79901
915-545-1148

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
I've got her drinking water, but she can barely hold her head up. is there anything else I can do till I get her to the vet

You can try a drop of pancke syrup on her tongue to help balance her glucose, try to get some of the baby food into her (chicken baby food will offer some nutrition), and the Pedialyte will give some electolytes. The best solution will be to get her on an IV at the Vets office. Joan

she seems panicked, and doesn't want me to touch her, does this mean she is in pain, or is she just trying to be alone?

What you are seeing is a sick animal wanting to be left alone. This is instinct and will happen when they do not feel well. It is just like a child that is scared when ill. Were you able to reach the clinic to take her in? Joan

thank you so much for the help.
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician