Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

my yorkie is throwing up hairballs. was up all night making ...

Customer Question
my yorkie is throwing up...
my yorkie is throwing up hairballs. was up all night making gagging noises. seems to be getting better,but seems to have something stuck in her throat. should i take her to her vet or will she be ok?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Pet
10/20/2007
Pet Specialist: Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert replied 10 years ago
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert

Has she been near any other dogs like at the park or groomer?

is she eating?

if so, what is her food?

Thanks,

Terri

i have another dog. they are both indoor dogs.nutro natural choice is her food. eating well.

Dear friend,

A small dog like your baby as a very sensitive digestive system.Nutro is a great food but she may be reacting to the dryness.She could ave an abscessed tooth which is common in toys or swallowed a non food item. Check inside her mouth for any abnormalities.

Stress weakens the immune system and allows opportunistic bacteria to invade.

Dogs get upper respiratory infections, kennel cough and canine influenza Some are so contagious, they can come in on shoes. I will try to cover every possibility.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/canineinfluenza.html

It can also be kennel cough, a reverse sneeze, an allergy or swallowed non food item.

http://www.papillonclub.org/Education/trachea.htm

http://www.papillonclub.org/Education/trachea.htm%3C/a%3E
http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html%3C/a%3E
Excitation does worsen this condition.

Kennel cough will usually resolve on it's own in about three weeks. Sometimes vets do script antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. Doxycyline is the most common one used.

You can also use robitussin to give her relief.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=10677

Here is info on Kennel cough:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/kenc.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html

She may have a tummy ache. I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, cottage cheese, or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Go very slow so she does not throw it up.

Toys get dehydrated and hypoglcemic very easily.

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk her up.

Do not allow her to drink a lot at a time If she throws up water, she can lick ice

She may have any human OTC at www.wolfdancer.org/health scroll down for products and dosages.

Keep her on that very light diet of boiled chicken or cottage cheese for 48 hours. Also give her one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system.

If she developes any adominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down she needs to be seen by a vet right away

I hope I have covered every possibility for you.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will be here for you all weekend

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes,

Terri

Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Terri Riba
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert