Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Is there any way to catch a cockatiel that has gotten loose ...

Customer Question
Is there any way to...
Is there any way to catch a cockatiel that has gotten loose outside the house?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Pet
6/18/2007
Pet Specialist: Patricia, Parrot Consultant replied 10 years ago
Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant

Hi Cathy. Oh no, I'm so sorry this happened. You are off to a good start trying to lure him back that way. Just be very careful about having her outside unless she is in a carrier or cage and even if she is, do not turn your back on her. There are lot of things you can do. I'm going to give you a copy of the information I keep on my own parrot website. You should take all of the steps that are suggested. Don't leave any out because you never know which one will work. But most of all, don't give up. I hope this will be helpful and I will be keeping all my fingers crossed that you soon have him back, safe and sound. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Best of luck. Patricia

Tips for Finding a Lost Parrot

Losing your parrot can be a devastating experience. Unlike a dog or cat who may roam the (usually familiar) streets wearing a collar with a tag, parrots often fly up and away to hide in the safety of a tree's high branches. Often, they are so scared and confused by their surroundings that they are unable to find their way home, even if they wanted to. Here is a few tips for getting your bird back.

1. Remember the "One Mile/One Month Rule": When looking for a lost bird, remember that and during the first month following "escape," a lost parrot usually stays within a one-mile radius of where it was lost.
  2. Familiar Surroundings: Even if you cannot see your bird, he may be watching you. Your bird may be too scared to come down and see you, so entice him. Put his cage outside, full of his favorite junk-food, and leave the door open. If your bird has a feathered pal, put him outside, too (in a locked cage). Only attempt this if you are home and watching the cage(s) carefully. This may entice him to come down. If you have a dog/cat that your bird doesn't like, be sure to keep them far away from the cage.
  3. Make Some Noise: If there are noises or words that your bird likes, walk the neighborhood making those sounds. Listen carefully, your bird might talk back!
  4. Let People Know: When your bird becomes hungry or lonely, she may make contact with a stranger in desperation. This person may well go looking for the bird's owner. Make posters advertising your lost bird with a description and contact information. Give these posters to neighbors, veterinarians and pet stores as soon as possible. If there are bird breeders in your area, let them know you lost your bird, too. Also, place an advertisement in the Lost & Found section of any newspapers in your area. Finally, stick posters up on phone poles and in community centers. You may even go door-to-door asking neighbors to keep an eye out for your bird. This way, if someone has seen/found your bird, they can easily find you, too.
  5. Remember Your Animal Welfare Groups: Be sure to contact your local animal control, Humane Society and any parrot rescue groups in your area. Let them know you have lost your parrot and give them a contact number where they can get a hold of you if someone reports a found bird.
  6. And Most Importantly: Be stubborn about finding your bird. Parrots are very adaptable and can live feral in many parts of the United States. Your best chance for getting your bird back is if you are proactive!

More Links:
http://www.parrottalk.com/missing.html
http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/blost.htm
http://www.birdhotline.com/
http://www.birdmart.com/classifieds/lost/
http://members.aol.com/thepetpage/
http://www.birdmart.com/classifieds/found/
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/peepuff/lostfound.html
http://bellaonline.com/articles/art3239.asp
http://www.petfinder.com/post/classifiedhop.html
http://www.avianrescue.org/resources.html#lost
To Report a Found Bird: [email protected]
To Report a Lost/Stolen Bird: [email protected]

Bird HotLine - World Wide Bird Lost and Found

Lost & Found Birds Listing

Birdhobbyist's Forums - Lost & Found Birds

The Pet Page - LOST, FOUND, STOLEN, RESCUE and WANTED ANIMALS

Yahoo! Directory Animals Classifieds > Lost and Found

PARROT CONSERVATION GROUP LOST AND FOUND: Lost, Stolen and Found ...

Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
So the same scenario is good for cockatiels too?

Yes, definitely. This applies to any escaped pet bird. Your Cockatiel is a parrot, just as much as the really big Macaws. The truth probably is, some of it may work even better with Tiels because they are usually very bonded, either with their mate or with their human and can be more desparate to get back than, for example, a large Macaw who might not have quite that same bond. Of course that also can make them more susceptible to allowing a stranger to approach them, take them home, purchase a cage and you never see the bird again. That's the purpose of offering a reward and/or telling the little fib about it needing medication. You have to hope that one or both of those things will prompt a finder to try to get the bird back to it's rightful owner.

Patricia
Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant