Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

ARE BANANA PEELS TOXIC TO HORSES

Customer Question
my horse ate a banana...
my horse ate a banana and the entire peel. He chewed it thoroughly. Is this toxic?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Pet
6/12/2007
Pet Specialist: JC Dill, AFA Certified Farrier Equine expert replied 11 years ago
JC Dill
JC Dill, AFA Certified Farrier Equine expert

Although we think of horses as prefering carrots or apples over other fruits like bananas, bananas actually scored higher as a "favorite" food in a recent test of horse food flavorings:

http://www.ecmagazine.net/ecSummer06/FavoriteFlavors.htm

In some parts of the world where bananas are grown locally and are plentiful (e.g. India) horses are fed bananas as a treat just as we would feed carrots.

If you feed your horse a lot of bananas you should wash them first as the peel may have pesticide residue on it. Produce handlers don't usually wash bananas because most consumers don't eat the peel.

But other than that, it's just fine to feed banana to your horse, peel and all.

jc
JC Dill