Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

how do pet oscar fish mate,what do they do in the tank,if ...

Customer Question
how do pet oscar fish...
how do pet oscar fish mate,what do they do in the tank,if they clean up an area and dont allow other fish to come there
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Pet
9/30/2006
Pet Specialist: Terri, Veterinary Assistant replied 11 years ago
Terri
Terri, Veterinary Assistant
Our first experience with fish babies is often the result of one of the live-bearing fish having babies. Mollies and Swordtails are commonly the first parents in the aquarium, and often pregnant females will have babies after being brought home from the store. These babies are relatively easy to raise. If you do not have a separate aquarium to set up for the babies, one of the breeder traps will work. These small plastic or net containers will attach to the trim of the aquarium, or float on the surface. The pregnant female can be placed into the trap, and then removed after giving birth. Put a sprig of live plant or spawning grass in the breeder trap to give the babies a place to hide and feel secure. The babies can be fed baby food or regular flaked food which has been ground into a powder, 4-6 times a day.

Since it will usually take the babies 4-6 weeks to be large enough to be released, a separate rearing aquarium is a better option than a breeder trap. This could be a 5-20 gallon tank with a sponge filter and a bare bottom. Having no substrate makes it easier to see uneaten food and vacuum it out after feeding. I use plastic plants with plant weights to provide some cover for the fish.

Egg Layers

Convict CichlidOur first experience with an egg-laying fish is usually the Convict Cichlid, a.k.a. The "Breeding Cichlid." The first sign that egg laying is imminent will usually be a pile of gravel moved out from behind a rock, and other fish being chased by the breeding pair. The female has a bright red belly and is usually smaller than the male. The eggs are laid on a rock and will take 3-5 days to hatch. Then the babies will be wigglers for 1-2 more days. During this time, it is not unusual to see the parents using their mouths to move the fry to a more secure location. After the fry are free swimming, the parents will herd the babies for a few days until the effort is too much. At that point, the babies have to fend for themselves, and the parents are ready to spawn again.

Once again, if you want to raise the babies, it is best to remove the rock with the eggs attached to a hatch-out/rearing tank. Fill this tank with water from the display aquarium. Do not allow the rock and eggs to be exposed to air during the transfer; encircle it with a plastic container or bag before removing it from the aquarium. You can feed the babies freshly hatched brine shrimp, TetraMin baby food "E" or standard flakes which have been ground into a powder -msn.fish.com-

Please remember to ACCEPT my answer. Thank-you!Smile

Terri
Terri
Terri, Veterinary Assistant