Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

How do I tell the sex of my white dove

Customer Question
How do I tell the...
How do I tell the sex of a dove?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Pet
8/14/2006
Pet Specialist: Patricia, Parrot Consultant replied 11 years ago
Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant

Hello Rowe. Unfortunately this is a question for which no one is going to be able to give you a definite answer. Visual sexing of many birds is very nearly impossible. When it's Doves, there are sometimes certain behaviors that give pretty good hints as to which gender they are but it's never fool proof. It can also require that you have more than one in order to compare the behavior with another bird. As with parrots, there will only be two ways that you can ever know for sure. One will be if the bird ever lays an egg and the other would be a DNA test. Other than those two things, a "best guess" will be the only answer anyone is going to be able to provide. I am going to give you links to some more information about Doves and more indepth explanations about visual sexing and how difficult it can be. I hope this information will be informative for you. Patricia

Patricia
Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant