Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Experience:  Expert in pet health and behavior. 20 year experience with animals.
437368

is my hamster sick/dying

My husband & I just got a couple male golden hamsters about a month ago. A couple days ago, one of them seemed to be sweating profusely so I got them clean water & new food. Last night when I got home, the same hamster was exhibiting the same symptoms. My husband cleaned out their cage last night and nothing had changed when I checked this morning. This hamster is the more active of the two on a regular day and never sits still for a second. He's also constantly running on the wheel. Over the past couple days, he's hardly run on it at all and when he does, he's got about 1/4 of the energy he did when we first brought them home. He's hardly touched his food or vitamins since a couple days ago too. I know the hamsters (both) are a little on the older side, not sure what age though. We never asked the pet store their age, didn't even think of it, and they didn't offer the info either. They probably didn't know anyway. We just asked if they were male or female. Pleas help if you can. Does our hamster just have a bug...or worse?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 11 years ago.

Hi Kristy,

Please stand by for detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: My hamster hasn't been eating anything, hasn't drank anything, sleeps a lot, when he's awake walks around aimlessly (sluggish like) and just looks overall exhausted. When on the wheel, he does it half heartedly. He's also gotten quite thin the past couple days. What's going on? And his fur is drenched in either pee or sweat.

Dear friend,

I have sent your question to Danielle as she is our best hamster expert and I know she can help. She will answer as soon as she comes on line. However, Your hammie is acting pretty sick so he is either not feeling well or older. If you are using pine or cedar bedding that could affect him so you should change to care fresh which is paper.

Terri

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: that's what we're using. we made sure to get the good stuff. i think he's dying. he's acting really old. HELP!
Do you have any unflavored pedialyte you could give him? He could be dehydrated.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: no i don't. we've got strawberry flavored vitamins but that's it. where can i get that? do you think it's worth it or is it too late? like i said, i know he's older so maybe it's not worth it? what do you think?

Dear friend,

i am a firm believer in where there is life - there is hope so get some plain pedialyte in the baby dept of any store and give he little guy one cc - very slowly - over an hour. Hammies live between 2 to three years so I do not know if he is at the end of his life or just stressed.

Here is a site I hope will help.

http://netvet.wustl.edu/species/hamsters/phodopus.txt

http://www.all-creatures.com/456060.html

Please let me know what happens and if you need anything at all. I will try my best to help in any way possible.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Hi Terri. I'll run to the store tonight after work and get the pedialyte. I hope that will help...

There's just one problem. Neither of them like to be held at all, not even for a second. I'm afraid I'll hurt Marvin (the sick hamster) if myself or my husband handle him. And right now, Marvin isn't interested in eating anything, drinking anything, or even moving around the cage.

Please try yo hurry as I do not know how long Marvin can last. Wrap him in a towel, if necessary.

Plaese let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Hi again. I get off work at 3pm today. I'll go straight to the store and get the pedialyte. Should I just put it in the water and hope he drinks it? How should I do it so I don't hurt him?
give him a little tiny bit with a dropper - just one drop evey ten minutes for an hour unless he wants more
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: he won't take it out of a dropper. he bites...
But he won't drink it either so you will have to wrap him in atowel and force him or he is just going to dehydrate and I ma afraid he could die.